Home Open Account Help 298 users online

Model Railroading > So what would you do (NCE - Digitrax)

Date: 07/10/11 20:29
So what would you do (NCE - Digitrax)
Author: M-420

So I stepped away from the hobby for a while. Before I left, I had a rather large HO layout and was in the middle of the DC to DCC switch over. I had an NCE system at the time and frankly, I liked it a lot. Easy to use - intuitive and trouble free. At the time I had only one sound equipped unit, a fairly unsophisticated one (this was around 8-9 years ago).
When I got out, I sold off most of the stuff I had including the NCE system.\

So recently, I got the Model RR urge again. I had an opportunity to purchase another guys partually built layout - far smaller than what I had before, but one that fits my current circumstances. This layout came equipped with a Digitrax RC system with it. A DB150 with a UR91 receiver and a DT300 throttle, Everything works...To power this little layout, I bought a pair of Athearn Sound equipped GP15-1's.

Fact is that while I am still learning the digitrax system, I don't like it very much. Mostly it has to do with the multi function keys. That and of course the controller cannot control all the functions included in the tsunami decoders in my Athearns (like engine shut-down, for example).

The question is what to do about it. Seems to me that I have two choices (without breaking the bank). I can either:

A) switch back to NCE...Probably go with the Powercab system for under $200. Downside is that it's a tethered system.
or
B) Do an upgrade to the current system and add a DT402R Throttle to Digitrax system. This throttle SEEMS to have many of the NCE features including the single function keys and more than 8 functions available,

I'd like to hear from you guys who have used both systems as to what you think would be the better move.

Thanks

Brian E

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/11 21:09 by m420.

Date: 07/10/11 20:56
Re: So what would you do (NCE - Digitrax)
Author: lynngrove

I have used Digitrax at a friend's layout and NCE at the club I belong to...and I like both systems, with perhaps the ease of use going slightly to NCE.

I have also used wireless and tethered throttles. In the past, I would have said I preferred a wireless throttle, as that is what my friend has, along with many rechargable batteries. When I joined the club last year, I purchased a NCE PowerCab to use both at home (a small test track) and as my throttle at the club. Since I have been using the tethered throttle at the club, I now prefer a tethered throttle. Why? Because I never have to mess with batteries. Plug it in, run the train...need to move, unplug, move, plug in somewhere else.

Date: 07/10/11 21:16
Author: winstonhill

I haven't had any experience with the Digitrax system (everyone I've talked to thinks it's a great system), but I've found that surprisingly, the NCE radio system is handier on a small layout than on a large one. I run on the La Mesa Model Railroad Club's Tehachapi Pass layout, which is a large system. We have a control bus that runs the length of the railroad, with plugs every few feet, so I can plug in wherever is convenient. I also run on a friend's 12' x 12' bedroom layout, typically with 3 other operators. In that situation, if we used tethered controllers, we'd be hogtied within 5 minutes!

Tethered controllers have a number of advantages: they're way cheaper, they don't eat batteries, and system response to a control input is essentially instantaneous. Radio systems have a slight hesitation between the time you push a button and the time the engine responds--just enough to be annoying. The display also goes dark after a time if no buttons are pushed (to lengthen battery life)--seems like it happens just when most inconvenient. But they're the only way to go if you're running multiple cabs in a tight space.

Winston Hill

Date: 07/11/11 00:42
Author: AgentSmith

At our club in Lombard IL, we have the NCE system, and it works great! I only use NCE or TCS decoders, I will never again use Ditigtrax. To me, NCE is the best...easest to learn and use. I love the wireless control too!

Date: 07/11/11 03:52
Author: acltrainman

My choice would be NCE. To me it's easier to use. For operating on the club HO layout iI have the NCE Pro Cab Radio. At home on my 20' test track so to speak I use the NCE Power Cab that has to be tethered. I used the Digitrax only a couple of times on a friends layout and to me it's difficult to use. The friend told me after seeing my NCE unit that he would have gone NCE if he had know the features. As to battery life on the NCE they use 4 AAA batteries and the seem to last quite a long time, as for the Digitrax they use 9 volt batteries and understand they don't last very long and they are expensive as you probably know. I'll stick with NCE.
Stan

Date: 07/11/11 04:10
Author: kgmontreal

Our club has Digitrax and as a result I bought Digitrax for home. I have no complaints with Digitrax. The Digitrax Zephyr Xtra is a great unit and offers terrific value for the price. I have installed 80 decoders, a mixture of Digitrax, NCE, TCS and Soundtraxx. None have given problems. (There may have been some problems with early Digitrax decoders but that was before my time in DCC.)

KG

Date: 07/11/11 04:34
Author: JoppaSub

The easiest thing to do is add the DT402R throttle. That would solve your issues if they are mainly the multi-use keys...I still run a DT300R myself...and love it, personally...but I learned how to run DCC on Digitrax.

It seems that would be the best way to go...and definitely not break the bank.

Thomas Austin
Centralia, IL
Joppa Sub Layout Site

Date: 07/11/11 06:11
Author: CSX1346

Digitrax, I've had the system for over 15 years and it still works and has NEVER failed. I have the DT402D and it works great. Great support. Our club also uses this system.

Russ

Date: 07/11/11 07:40
Author: swsf

winstonhill Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Tethered controllers have a number of advantages:
> they're way cheaper, they don't eat batteries, and
> system response to a control input is essentially
> instantaneous. Radio systems have a slight
> hesitation between the time you push a button and
> the time the engine responds--just enough to be
> annoying. The display also goes dark after a time
> if no buttons are pushed (to lengthen battery
> life)--seems like it happens just when most
> inconvenient.

We often run 12 or more NCE cabs on my large layout and we experience no delay. We have the latest version of the software - a simple swap of the chip in the command station - and we've even started to remove the external antenna in favor of an internal antenna that the new NCE cabs have a provision for (the older cabs can be retrofitted quite easily). Signal reception is as good as with the short 2" stubby antennas we're removing. We stopped using the longer 6" antennas years ago. We're fully wireless now and the cab bus jacks have been removed.

I've also been using rechargeable batteries for several years. Since we operate every month and our sessions are about 5 hours long, these batteries have paid off handsomely. I can get two 5 hour op sessions plus a few hours for the reset time out of a full charge. If you go this route, try to find 1,000 milliamp batteries. These will last significantly longer than the 600 to 700mAh found at places like RadioShack. Search the Internet for a source.

I've also set the time-out feature for the radio to 'zero'. Our runs are long enough that sometimes the cab would time out before the operator needed to make another speed adjustment. Setting it to zero means we have to turn them off manually, but eliminates the fear of losing control of the trains.

The PowerCab has to be tethered since it has the command station built in. But a radio receiver can be installed making it a dual purpose cab. When tethered, it's a self contained system. When in wireless mode, it functions as a standard cab. Many of us in our area have purchased PowerCabs in addition to our standard systems. I utilize the PowerCab as a stand-alone programming track, but mostly use it with the standard system that runs the layout.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/11 08:05 by swsf.

Date: 07/11/11 07:59
Author: tedstrains

At our club we use Digitrax and at home I use NCE, after using both I prefer Nce due to the simplicity of its use also a couple of the club members now prefer NCE and wish we had looked into both systems before we went with Digitrax, we have had more problems at the club with our system especially with the radio portion such as loss of signal, I do not like to plug in to acquire a loco and do not like loosing control and having to replug in.as for repair services NCE has it hands down they are just great and if you have a problem they are a lot easier to contact and talk to.

Date: 07/11/11 09:53
Author: Focalplane

I agree about TCS decoders - great product and an excellent guarantee. I use a Digitrax Zephyr controller but would probably switch if I didn't have the investment.

Date: 07/11/11 13:45
Author: AgentSmith

I would like to comment on one more thing as far as decoders, I have used a lot of NCE D13SR and P2KSR decoders in my locos, they are great to work with and the outlets for the extra functions are much easier to hook up to for Mars lights and beacons>I model a lot of CB&Q and early BN. I didn't like Digitrax because I have so much trouble trying to soldier wires to the back of those flat decoders with the copper pads...that's not a good design to me. NCE or TCS is so much easier for wiring and setting up addresses. NCE paddle...the best hands down! And I love NCE & TCS because they are great for putting all CV codes and values in every decoder package, I dont have to hunt them down on there websights.......Steven, Prairie Scale Model Railroad club of Lombard, IL

Date: 07/11/11 16:23
Author: shadetree

If your soldering to the back of a Digitrax decoder, turn it over.

Eng. Shadetree

Date: 07/11/11 19:31
Author: M-420

JoppaSub Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The easiest thing to do is add the DT402R throttle. That would solve your issues if they are mainly the multi-use keys...I still run a DT300R myself...and love it, personally...but I
> learned how to run DCC on Digitrax.
>
> It seems that would be the best way to go...and definitely not break the bank.

I agree with your reasoning, but am sitting here terrified to try and re-address my $200 GP15's with this thing....Just me, I guess.

Will dive in with the DT300 and hope for the best. If that works, then going DT402R makes total sense.

Thanks all

Brian E

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1047 seconds