Home Open Account Help 368 users online

Model Railroading > Ashville Rte. 22 Overpass Progress

Date: 09/12/11 15:54
Ashville Rte. 22 Overpass Progress
Author: SVTS

Just west of Ashville on Rte 22 is a bothersome "S" curve followed by a grade crossing. With all the truck traffic and increased train traffic, it can be a real nightmare. Work is progressing though on a overpass. Because of the Stuckey's NE of the site, the "S" curve could not be eliminated, but at least when completed, it will be a little more stretched out. Attached are a few pic's, showing the site as truck after truck dumps dirt and rock to help build up the apporach to the new overpass.

Pic's are from our new layout in Texas. It is a 16' long "U" shape layout. Still quite a bit more work to be done, buy my now 10 year old daughter and I are enjoying the time together.

Anyone have any suggestions for better bridge pilings and such? El Paso does not have much in the way of hobby shops, so I had to resort to Balsa for the time being till I find something better.

Chris Bogley
Bowie, MD

Date: 09/12/11 16:04
Re: Ashville Rte. 22 Overpass Progress
Author: johneasterly

Very nice - keep it up

Date: 09/12/11 17:49
Author: toledopatch

For the bridge under construction, I'd suggest one of the "modern overpass" kits that are commercially available, but build only the piers, and get some plastic or brass I-beams and bridge bearings.

Date: 09/12/11 17:56
Author: Poker2662

A bridge already? It looks like they just paved the road. :)
Nice looking layout.

Date: 09/12/11 21:39
Author: SVTS

toledopatch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For the bridge under construction, I'd suggest one
> of the "modern overpass" kits that are
> commercially available, but build only the piers,
> and get some plastic or brass I-beams and bridge
> bearings.

Thanks TP, I'll have to check Walthers I guess.

Chris Bogley
Bowie, MD

Date: 09/13/11 00:09
Author: texaswestern70mac

sheet styrene and simple scratch building could also accomplish this. evergreen makes I-beam and many other shape styles.

Will Hemb
Flower Mound, TX

Date: 09/13/11 07:52
Author: toledopatch

texaswestern70mac Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> sheet styrene and simple scratch building could
> also accomplish this. evergreen makes I-beam and
> many other shape styles.

True, appropriately sized plastic cylinders could be used for vertical pier members; the challenge would be accurately representing the pier tops -- and bases, since many bridges over railroad tracks have solid bases to reduce the risk of a derailment impact causing a bridge collapse. These concrete structures usually have rounded edges, so a realistic look would require more than just fashioning a box beam out of styrene.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0532 seconds