Home Open Account Help 303 users online

Model Railroading > ExactRail Announces the Thrall 63' Opera WIndow Center-

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 06/21/12 15:26
ExactRail Announces the Thrall 63' Opera WIndow Center-
Author: choochooboy

ExactRail is proud to introduce the HO scale Thrall 63’ “Opera Window” Center-Beam Flat Car:

Through the input and participation of the Union Pacific and Burlington Northern railroads, Thrall developed a new style of bulkhead flat car called the “Center-Beam.” The intention of the design was to prevent hapless fork-lift drivers from dumping lading while loading and unloading the car. Introduced in 1977, the innovation has proved successful, and it became colloquially known as the “Opera Window” due to the large cut-outs along the center partition. The Thrall 63’ “Opera Window” Center-Beam is still common to the rails, and they are as one of the most distinctive prototypes of all time.

ExactRail’s Thrall 63’ “Opera Window” Center-Beam is an extraordinary replica. Easily one of our most intricate and part-intense models to date, the “Opera Window” is a hybrid model of etched brass and plastic that is without equal. The model consists of 125 separate parts, which include a 0.010” etched brass center partition, individually tooled ratchets and separate deck panels so that there are no ejection marks on the body from the injection molding process. The model also features wire coupler cut hangers, which match the “loop” style coupler cut lever hangers on the prototype.

• MSRP $64.95, ExactRail Direct Price $46.95
• Designed, engineered, tooled and injection molded in our own Orem, Utah facilities!
• 0.010” etched brass center partition, COTS and ACI labels.
• Factory installed Kadee #58 couplers
• Narrow-style draft box, featuring: shank wedges, striker castings and full nut and bolt detail
• ExactRail’s exclusive ASF 100 ton ‘Ride Control’ trucks
• CNC-machined metal wheel sets with metal axles
• Wire grab irons, brake rods, and coupler cut levers
• Accurate painting and lettering schemes
• Wire coupler cut lever hangers which match the “loop” style hangers of the prototypes!
• Etched metal Morton crossover walks
• Separately applied air hoses
• Available in 6 paint schemes: Burlington Northern, Burlington Northern Santa Fe, Union Pacific, Western Pacific, and Milwaukee Road in what we are referring to as “As Delivered” and “Bilboard” paint schemes.

Please visit www.exactrail.com to watch our video announcement and view pictures of production samples! The video may be viewed on our announcement page at http://www.exactrail.com/exactrail-model-train-announcements. The Thrall 63’ “Opera Window” Center-Beam is available now for pre-order! Pre-orders close on August 10th. Please visit www.exactrail.com for more information and to place your pre-order.

Date: 06/21/12 15:33
Re: ExactRail Announces the Thrall 63' Opera WIndow Cen
Author: BN7149

Man, now I can finally put this old McKean kit where it belongs....

Thank you ExactRail!

-Ryan

Date: 06/21/12 15:42
Author: WAF

Yea!

Date: 06/21/12 15:47
Author: DKay

Very nice,some WP ones with my name on em.
Regards,DK

Date: 06/21/12 15:51
Author: funnelfan

Been wanting this model for a long while, but didn't expect them to be quite so expensive. Can't see myself buying more than just a couple at that price, where I had hoped for a small fleet.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 06/21/12 16:05
Author: TCnR

Here's the quote of the month:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Been wanting this model for a long while, but
> didn't expect them to be quite so expensive.

I think I'll hold on to those McKean kits for a while. ExactRail will be nice, but expensive and once they are sold out, that's it.

Date: 06/21/12 16:08
Author: cslemp

... Undecs?

Date: 06/21/12 16:30
Re: ExactRail Announces the Thrall 63' Opera Window Cen
Author: original

MSRP is $64.95 - your price is $46.95 - are you not the Manufacturer therefore MSRP is $46.95 - This is a "nit-pick" But, let's present "apples to apples" - You do not sell through Retail stores.

Date: 06/21/12 17:16
Author: atsfmodeler

Nor do you sell to me anymore.
Bob

Bob Miller
Kansas City, KS

Date: 06/21/12 17:18

>MSRP is $64.95 - your price is $46.95 - are you not the Manufacturer therefore MSRP is $46.95 - This is a "nit-pick" But, let's present "apples to apples" - You do not sell through Retail stores.

We still maintain a network of overseas dealers so to serve our overseas customers.

Thank you for your interest in our announcement!

Best regards,

Blaine Hadfield

Vice President, Product
ExactRail

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/12 17:44 by choochooboy.

Date: 06/21/12 18:08
Author: theACe

And that matters to those of us who live in the USA how?

For 60+, even with a 'discount' for buying direct, no thanks.

Date: 06/21/12 18:14
Author: rschonfelder

This is a fantastic model and long overdue. Anyone who wants the McKean they will find them. If you ask me they were a good candidate for landfill because of the horrible plastic they used.

As for the ER opera window, buy it if you want it but lets get over what has happened and forget doing the slagging all over again. It is not as if they are the first company to do what they are doing. Pacific Western Rail Systems, Tangent and Spring Mills Depot also come to mind and they have a successful customer list. If you don't want to be on it, that is up to you.

Rick

Date: 06/21/12 18:28
Author: bobthetrainguy

Most of my customers for Exactrail were over seas! Guess I don't qualify as an overseas dealer! Got a lot of emails today. Not many nice ones regarding the price. Oh well. Moving on!

Bob The Train Guy

Date: 06/21/12 18:38
Author: pal77

This 60+ msrp and 46 for exact direct seems egregious at best. I have been going to my LHS for 30+ years and consider myself a loyal customer and he has flatly said that he will no longer stock Exactrail for exactly this type of pricing. Frankly you make an awesome model and I will likely get a couple just because but not what I may have because they are on the shelf. Cutting out this distribution channel makes little sense to me but maybe I am old just school and I am not even 50 yet. The more expensive models get the more I like to see before I buy.

Date: 06/21/12 19:58
Author: Olympian-Hiawatha

Blaine, I belive these cars in the Milwaukee Road paint will look great being pulld by the new Athearn Milwaukee Raoad GP 9's. This announcement came out of left filed but I plan on all 12 Milwaukee's plun 3 or 4 BNs. For those complaining about the price ExactRail does have a right to make a profit. I for one do not want to go back to the days of blue box models. I will figure out a way to pay for them. They will make a great addition to my Milwaukee Road car fleet.

Date: 06/21/12 20:47

@ Olympia-Hiawatha: Thank you, we have heard points of view of all kinds relating to our position to be consumer direct. We understand that not everyone shares our view, and there are some who will never be persuaded by what we see in the market place. Naturally, we wish that this was not the case. However, we have determined that there is value in not outsourcing so much of our business to overseas partners. As I have mentioned elsewhere, we employ good people of great technical skill, and we enjoy their contribution to making better products than ever before. Our choice for distribution enables us to be more American-made than anyone else who is aggressive about new product development. Again, there are those for whom this attitude has little value. For us, it is a great difference that we believe merits persuit.

Best regards,

Blaine Hadfield

Vice President, Product
ExactRail

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/12 20:54 by choochooboy.

Date: 06/21/12 21:06
Author: original

If I could Cuss - I would ! what a comment - Blaine - You are truly above all - uber alles

Date: 06/21/12 22:29
Author: MrMRL

Outstanding model ExactRail, regardless of what rhetoric any naysayers express.

Another cluncky, old pos model (McKean centerbeam) bites the dust! Now if you folks could possibly consider taking a stab at the 5250 cu ft. hopper. That 40 year old Athearn abomination needs to be drawn and quartered!!!

Mr. MRL

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/12 22:34 by MrMRL.

Date: 06/21/12 22:30
Author: RAS

rschonfelder Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is a fantastic model and long overdue.

>snip<

> As for the ER opera window, buy it if you want it
> but lets get over what has happened and forget
> doing the slagging all over again.

Agree on both counts. I look forward to picking up a number of these. The model looks fantasic.

As for the dead horse that some choose to keep smacking around, it would be nice not to have to hear about it every time EXR announces something new. This thread has turned from a product announcement to one of borderline-insults against the product rep. I think by now most of us, Blaine and EXR crew included, get that some of you won't buy no matter what EXR produces. Your money, your choice. But frankly, it would be nice to see more civility in these discussions. Unfortunately, sometimes it seems like that's asking too much from the TO crowd....

-Rick

Rick Selby
Redmond, WA
Pacific Northwest RPM

Date: 06/21/12 22:44
Author: bnsfsd70

You're on the computer RIGHT NOW. Just go to their site and buy it. Are you still actually going to Blockbuster too?!?

- Jeff Carlson

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0777 seconds