Home Open Account Help 308 users online

Model Railroading > DPM kits...painting question

Date: 11/17/12 04:42
DPM kits...painting question
Author: sphauler

I just purchased a few DPM building kits and would like to hear some painting tips from those who have experience with them. My thoughts were to paint the entire brick building a reddish brown and then hand paint the windows and doors etc? Thanks for the help.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/12 04:44 by sphauler.

Date: 11/17/12 04:52
Re: DPM kits...painting question
Author: Lighter

sphauler Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My thoughts were to
> paint the entire brick building a reddish brown
> and then hand paint the windows and doors etc?

That's essentially how I did this DPM store front a long, long time ago. I used craft acrylics. Back then my hand was steady enough to not need masking.

Date: 11/17/12 04:58
Author: sphauler

Lighter,

Great looking building. Thanks for sharing.

Date: 11/17/12 08:16
Author: railstiesballast

I'm impressed: brass plates on door, TV security camera, ties on the display shirts, and the whole texture and level of colors are all excellent indications of an artist (with a very steady hand) at work.

Date: 11/17/12 12:40
Author: Frisco1522

I sprayed a couple of mine with, believe it or not, Duplicolor sandable Red Primer in a spray can. Nice boxcar reddish looking color (in fact, I've painted my Frisco wood cabooses with it and they are a great match to the prototype) Goes on great, flows out and dries quick and is easy to work with.
After that, I paint the window frames, etc, any concrete and trim and use chalks for the weathering and mortar.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0749 seconds