Home Open Account Help 299 users online

Model Railroading > SP Brass visits Vic Shattock's basement railroad.

Date: 11/21/12 08:59
SP Brass visits Vic Shattock's basement railroad.
Author: KeyRouteKen

Double-headed SP Class P-4 Pacifics march off with a freight train in Vic Shattock's basement--Oakland, CA-- observed by Mr. E.D. Moody, Asst General Manager--Southern Pacific.
That hopper car behind the brass Pacific was fully operational as to all side and drop doors. We used it to ballast the track.
The PFE car behind the hopper was insulated. We could put ice cubes in the hatches, ice the car a 'la Roseville, and place your ham & cheese sandwich inside to keep it fresh while working on the layout. Nothing like playing for keeps, right ?

Operating STEAM pressure on both locomotives was 80-90 PSI, approx.

The lead Pacific, # 2422, was built in 1929. Vic sold it in 1952. After a worldwide search, I found it and was able to buy it back from a collector in 1992.
After a 40-year absense from our family, it now sits on display in my dining room.

See what happens when you persevere and don't give up ?

Cheers.

KRK

Date: 11/21/12 09:55
Re: SP Brass visits Vic Shattock's basement railroad.
Author: coach

That SP executive is a well-dressed man--nice suit. That sure is missing these days.

Date: 11/21/12 11:52
Author: 6088

Ken,

Mind me asking how many of his locos are accounted for? How many are in the family? Any idea how many total he had?

Dave

Date: 11/23/12 10:44
Author: Arved

How was control achieved in these models? Just set the throttle and let them go? Or was there some sort of control through the rails by servos?

Thanks for sharing this history. And yes, the well dressed businessman. There was a time when wearing a suit was normal, as was taking your hat off indoors. It seems only the military trains these things anymore, but that's probably out of necessity. Can you imagine an infantry full of soldiers with pants hanging off their asses?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0344 seconds