Home Open Account Help 283 users online

Model Railroading > IAIS GP7M 400 in-progress pics

Date: 11/27/12 21:10
IAIS GP7M 400 in-progress pics
Author: iaisfan

Today I got my latest project, IAIS GP7M 400, as far as I can pending the arrival of some long-awaited Cannon fans. The prototype unit started out as a high-hood Rock Island GP7, but received an EMD factory low-nose as part of an accident repair in the early 1960s. It was acquired by the IAIS in 1988, but in 1997, it was in a serious grade crossing accident, striking a gravel truck at a grade crossing and taking a nose dive into a deep ditch, bending the frame. Over the next 4+ years, the IAIS shop forces in Council Bluffs rebuilt this unit from the frame up, replacing the long hood with one from retired IAIS Paducah GP8 7976.

Photo 1 - Prototype pic

Photo 2 - Engineer's side front view. The cab, short hood, and the portion of the frame beneath them are all from a P2K GP20, while the long hood, the rear portion of the frame (with skirt modifications to match the prototype), and most handrail sections are from a P2K GP7. The paper air filter is a modified Custom Finishing part, the plow is from the parts box, MU and air hoses and EOT antenna are Details West, and the ditch lights and cut levers are Detail Associates.

Photo 3 - The GP7 shell I started with had dynamic brakes, so I cut those out and replaced them with a Front Range GP7 non-DB hatch I had on hand, shimmed with styrene. The engine room access hatches are Evergreen .010" styrene.

Joe Atkinson
Council Bluffs, IA
www.iaisrailfans.org/../Sub4WestEnd

Date: 11/27/12 21:14
Re: IAIS GP7M 400 in-progress pics

Photo 4 - IAIS 400 at Council Bluffs, IA, 3/17/2008.

Photo 5 - Cab roof detail, with a Detail Associates Nathan P-3 horn on a DW stand, with conduit made from wire, as well as a DA firecracker radio antenna on a scratchbuilt stand.

Joe Atkinson
Council Bluffs, IA

Date: 11/27/12 21:17
Author: FiveChime

Very nice!

What became of this real life locomotive?

Regards, Jim Evans

Date: 11/27/12 21:26

Thanks Jim!

It's now Northern Lines Railway 400 in Minnesota.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2178506

Joe Atkinson
Council Bluffs, IA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/12 21:26 by iaisfan.

Date: 11/28/12 03:33
Author: cf7

Very nice job Joe!! That's one of those
"Never say die" locomotives!!
Will love to see it when it's done.
Russ

Date: 11/28/12 05:38
Author: P42hogger

Looks great but what is the duct work for on the long hood?

Date: 11/28/12 07:29
Author: fbe

P42hogger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looks great but what is the duct work for on the
> long hood?

Paper air filters for combustion air. Quite common for non turbo engine rebuilds of the time.

Posted from Windows Phone OS 7

Date: 11/28/12 09:22
Author: bnsfsd70

Ehh... it looks alright. ;-)

Joe, I always prefer yard work, but the 400 was always a sentimental favorite of mine. If I show up and its on the point of a road train, I may be inclined to bid that direction.

- Jeff Carlson

Date: 11/28/12 10:44

CF7 wrote:
> Very nice job Joe!! That's one of those "Never say die" locomotives!!

Thanks Russ! I've always thought the 400 was neat in having been through so many rebuilds and paint schemes. I mean, none of the sheet metal above the frame is original, and the fact that its latest resurrection was done by the IAIS right here in their Council Bluffs shop is kind of a matter of pride for what the "little guy" was able to pull off. Looks like they did quality work, too.

bnsfsd70 Wrote:
> Ehh... it looks alright. ;-)

No throttle for you! ;-)

> Joe, I always prefer yard work, but the 400 was always a sentimental favorite of mine. If I show
> up and its on the point of a road train, I may be inclined to bid that direction.

I'll talk to the power desk. If they're calling a crew from three hours away, seems as though they should give them first pick on their leader. :-)

In case anyone's interested, here are a few more prototype pics, including some I took during the prototype's rebuild.

Photo 6 & 7 - IAIS 400 at NRE, Silvis, IL, on October 25, 1998 - 11 months after the accident. Erik Rasmussen photos.
Photo 8 - Rebuild underway at Council Bluffs. New ends and steps have been built, and the donor long hood from IAIS GP8 7976 has been added. May 16, 2001.

Joe Atkinson
Council Bluffs, IA

Date: 11/28/12 10:46

Photo 9 - Primed, and with the hood stripes added and ends started. Dec. 20, 2001.
Photo 10 - Back in service and looking good as new. Feb. 2, 2002.

Joe Atkinson
Council Bluffs, IA

Date: 11/28/12 16:08
Author: bnsfsd70

iaisfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'll talk to the power desk. If they're calling a
> crew from three hours away, seems as though they
> should give them first pick on their leader. :-)

That's it! I know you're always on the lookout for ways to improve the realism of your sessions, and you said it without even realizing it. Renzenberger is the key! You could "charter" crew vans to chauffeur your crews to and from the session. How has this not been done already?

- Jeff

Date: 11/28/12 17:37
Author: alco539

Very Cool Model.
...And an amazing rersurection of an old GP7, if this engine had nine lives it's used at least four.!

Sean

Date: 11/28/12 20:01

bnsfsd70 Wrote:
> That's it! I know you're always on the lookout
> for ways to improve the realism of your sessions,
> and you said it without even realizing it.
> Renzenberger is the key! You could "charter" crew
> vans to chauffeur your crews to and from the
> session. How has this not been done already?

You may be onto something here Jeff! IAIS couldn't afford Renzenberger back in my era, but crews WERE transported in the Trainmaster's 1999ish forest green Jeep Grand Cherokee. Next time we replace our second car, I think I know what I'm going to be shopping for... :-)

Joe Atkinson
Council Bluffs, IA

Date: 11/28/12 20:42
Author: nikon1

Joe, the model is coming along very nicely. I've always had a soft spot for rebuilt GP 7/9s. Keep us posted on the progress.
Charlie
MP 53 on the BNSF Topeka Sub

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0846 seconds