Home Open Account Help 245 users online

Model Railroading > City Of Los Angeles/City Of San Francisco @ CA Southern

Date: 05/19/13 19:17
City Of Los Angeles/City Of San Francisco @ CA Southern
Author: Olympian-Hiawatha

My contribution to the California Southern Model Railroad Club Open House In Norwalk, California today was a combined City Of Los Angeles/City Of San Francisco Union Pacific Passenger Train.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/13 19:26 by Olympian-Hiawatha.

Date: 05/19/13 19:59
Re: City Of Los Angeles/City Of San Francisco @ CA Sout
Author: MrMRL

Richard, your nice CoLA photos were coming up a tad yellow on my monitor. Not sure if is just my settings or what, so I ran each photo through a little Photoshop color scrub, to help bring back the natural colors. Hope you don't mind.

Mr. MRL

Date: 05/19/13 20:04

Don't mind. Thank you. Kind of funny. A UP passenger train looking a bit yellow! I know you meant the entire picture, but still funny.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/13 20:10 by Olympian-Hiawatha.

Date: 05/19/13 22:15
Author: DKay

Beautiful stuff.I went in heavily on the city cars,my first serious passenger car purchases.No sooner had I thought I was done with passenger equipment ,and another run of CZ cars happened to find there way down here.(still short a couple of sleepers)
Regards,dK

Date: 05/20/13 04:25
Author: SPDRGWfan

Nice long train!

Dkay, when BLI ran the most recent run of CZ cars, I dipped in for some additional cars. I started out 6 years ago getting enough for the Rio Grande Zephyr, picked up another 8 mixed cars to complete a full CZ and was half way to a second CZ so grabbed more cars to that end. I too am still short a couple sleepers of filling the second train.

Date: 05/20/13 07:43
Author: rswebber

Just remember that a CZ 10-6 can be thrown into several SP trains (for a couple year period) ...they didn't change it much when they received it as recompense from WP for wrecking a SP 10-6.

Date: 05/20/13 09:36
Author: ATSF3751

Looks good. Suggestion, throw a couple of MILW cars into the consist...a coach and baggage car for instance. I rarely saw a COLA leave East Yard without at least one in the consist. I have a MILW Bagg-dorm, coach, and baggage car for my COLA. COP also carried MILW cars. The COSF was also a mix of UP/SP/MILW stock.

Date: 05/20/13 10:19
Author: WAF

rswebber Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just remember that a CZ 10-6 can be thrown into
> several SP trains (for a couple year period)
> ...they didn't change it much when they received
> it as recompense from WP for wrecking a SP 10-6.

Think you have it reversed, the CZ had a SP car ahead of the Observation lounge

Date: 05/20/13 10:24
Author: rswebber

No. The WP wrecked a SP 10-6, received a CZ 10-6 (SILVER CANYON) as a replacement, and used it in passenger trains for a few years. it was then converted into an instrument car for locomotive testing.

The other side of the coin (an SP car in the CZ) is well known. But, in that case, the SP car was not owned by a member of the Consortium.

Date: 05/20/13 11:13
Author: WAF

I know where you got your info and its incorrect. The SP bought the Silver Canyon from Great Western Tours in 1976 who got it from the WP when they were done with the CZ. SP in turn converted it into a Test and Research car in 1977.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/13 13:17 by WAF.

Date: 05/20/13 11:19
Author: binder001

That UP Streamliner looks really spiffy all stretched out like that.

Date: 05/20/13 11:56

ATSF3751 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looks good. Suggestion, throw a couple of MILW
> cars into the consist...a coach and baggage car
> for instance. I rarely saw a COLA leave East Yard
> without at least one in the consist. I have a MILW
> Bagg-dorm, coach, and baggage car for my COLA. COP
> also carried MILW cars. The COSF was also a mix of
> UP/SP/MILW stock.

There is a Milwaukee coach in the train along with a Southern Pacific coach. The Milwaukee baggage are never made it out of the box Sunday.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0533 seconds