Home Open Account Help 377 users online

Model Railroading > cleaning athearn trucks

Date: 01/12/14 15:03
cleaning athearn trucks
Author: jburek

I have an SD45T-2 that has trucks dripping with oil out of the box - I plan to dis-assemble & clean gears & trucks with soapy water. Anybody have a better way to de-oil these trucks??

Date: 01/12/14 15:11
Re: cleaning athearn trucks
Author: JoppaSub

I clean mine in a plastic tub with Bestine...it won't harm the plastic gears...and will return them to factory new...free of grease and oil.

Thomas Austin
Centralia, IL
Joppa Sub Layout Site

Date: 01/12/14 16:00
Author: seod

Rubbing Alcohol has worked well for me then a bath in warm soapy water to really get it clean. Then a little plastic compatible grease but not very much or you are back to where you started from. I have had the grease bath trucks too and a good cleaning works well and not much mess from then on. Clean the gears in a cup so you do not lose one. Make sure everything is dry before reassembly and re-greasing.

Scott O'Dell

Date: 01/12/14 16:59
Author: rschonfelder

All OK but the best degreaser is dishwashing liquid so it certainly will work for model gears cleaning.

Rick

Date: 01/13/14 08:40
Author: 4400horsepower

We use a product called Simple Green. Works well. Available at most grocery stores.

Brian
Burlington, Iowa

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0409 seconds