Home Open Account Help 279 users online

Model Railroading > Help removing acrylic paint

Date: 12/21/15 16:23
Help removing acrylic paint
Author: cewherry

I recently completed a scrathcbuilt locomotive using Evergreen styrene. After working months on this project
I was ready to paint. I airbrushed a coat of Testors Modelmaster Reefer gray to serve as a primer followed
two coats of Modelmaster Engine black which is the prototype color. Next came a coat of Future to serve
as a gloss coat prior to decaling but apparently I didn't get enough 'gloss' on because I had a major amount of silvering.
Long story short I decided to strip the model and begin again.

Problem: I've got the body in a bath of 91% isopropyl alcohol; the decals have succumbed but there are major areas that
refuse to budge even to scrubbing with a toothbrush.

Any ideas about getting this model back to salvageable status? (Sanding is not an option). TIA

Charlie

Date: 12/21/15 17:09
Re: Help removing acrylic paint
Author: georgiaroad

You can try Testors Easy Lift Off---you have to break the floor polish to get to the color.  Maybe use Future Floor Stripper...

I wish you luck!

H in AL

Date: 12/21/15 17:27
Author: CPR_4000

Sounds like an interesting project. Hope you'll show (or tell) us the model eventually.

Date: 12/21/15 17:50
Author: fbe

The only time I stripped it was with an abrasive blaster. It took more than 3 times longer than blasting solvent paints do.

Please keep us up with your progress.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 12/22/15 09:03
Author: 6ET

Try the scalecoat paint stripper.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 12/22/15 09:56
Author: PhillipJohnson

As crazy as it sounds, I have had success with Easy-Off Oven cleaner on plastics.  Just a thought, as its readily available at any grocery store.

Date: 12/22/15 10:08

If the acrylic is still somewhat fresh ammonia or ammonia based cleaners might help.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 12/22/15 10:32
Author: NSTopHat

Vinegar will remove the Future, and 91% will remove the paint, once the vinegar is removed.

Regards,
Russ

Date: 12/22/15 18:55
Author: Charls

91% wont do anything to paint you need 99%, in Canada it is on the shelves, in the US you have to ask the pharmacist

Date: 12/22/15 20:29
Author: steeplecab

> 91% wont do anything to paint you need 99%,
. . . . .
> ... in the US you have to ask the pharmacist

Or go to your local farm and ranch supply and look in the veterinary section. You can get "veterinary" 99% isopropyl by the gallon pretty reasonably. Be sure to keep the bottle tightly capped; that strong of alcohol will pull water out of the air to stabilize at a lower percentage.
steeplecab

Date: 12/22/15 22:41
Author: cajon

Blake fluid work good in removing paint.
Dennis

Date: 12/22/15 23:49

Stay away from brake fluid all together. These new plastics will just get the plasticizer sucked right out of then. The model will become brittle. There is no way to repair it then.

cajon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Blake fluid work good in removing paint.
> Dennis

Posted from iPhone

Date: 12/23/15 07:51
Author: JUTower

fbe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Stay away from brake fluid all together. These new
> plastics will just get the plasticizer sucked
> right out of then. The model will become brittle.
> There is no way to repair it then.
>
>
>
> cajon Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Blake fluid work good in removing paint.
> > Dennis
>
> Posted from iPhone

I used to use this method back in the day, haven't tried since I got back into this a few years ago. Thanks for the warning, fbe!

Date: 12/23/15 09:53
Author: trainjunkie

Ammonia will remove the acrylic floor wax (Future). That's the main ingredient in floor wax strippers. Personally though, I'd bead blast it.

Date: 12/23/15 10:18
Author: grahamline

Brake fluid isn't made up of the same stuff it was back in its paint-stripping heyday, nor are the model paints that need to be stripped. 97% isopropyl alcohol is my starting point.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.048 seconds