Home Open Account Help 274 users online

Model Railroading > Question about decoder problem

Date: 01/05/17 14:41
Question about decoder problem
Author: GBW309

I am having an issue with a decoder and was hoping someone might be able to help.   I installed a digitrax DZ123 into a Walthers HO scale crane.  There are no headlights on the crane so I soldered the red lead to the right truck pickup wires, the black lead to the left truck pickup wires. The Gray lead to the left motor tab and the Orange lead to the right motor tab.   I made sure I had no shorts, then programmed the crane on my programming track.  It seems to program correctly but will not move when I place it on the main.   The crane is number X18 so I programmed it as 18 (as long address).  When I review the programming, it keeps telling me the long address is  "@383"     I have reprogrammed it several times but it still keeps giving me that number.   I unsoldered the motor wires and checked to make sure it runs on DC and it operates correctly.

​Any suggestions?

​Thanks!

Dave

Date: 01/05/17 15:01
Re: Question about decoder problem
Author: calsubd

you might need 3 digits for a long address, try 118 or 181, just for giggles and let us know

Ed Stewart
Jacksonville, FL

Date: 01/05/17 15:03
Author: DocJohn

What value do you have for CV29?  You may wish to reset the decoder, which should give you a locomotive number of "03" along with the correct value for CV29.

John

Date: 01/05/17 15:18

I tried a three digit address and have also done the complete reset twice.  Still no luck. 

Dave

Date: 01/05/17 16:40
Author: ATSF429

Try 18 with the short address.

Date: 01/05/17 16:41
Author: Kemacprr

Whose dcc system are you using ? --- Ken 

Date: 01/05/17 17:07

I'm using an NCE pro cab on with a programming track and booster. 

Dave

Date: 01/05/17 17:09
two digit (short) addresses
Author: fbe

The range of short addresses is 01-127. Numbers 128-9999 need a 4 digit address.

For 18 the two digit address should have been used.

Do a factory reset of the decoder and do it again using the short, two digit format.

Date: 01/05/17 20:44
Re: two digit (short) addresses
Author: hartrick24

Give Digitrax a call at 1-850-872-9890 when the operator answers ask for tech support...Also I have about 6 locos with 2 digits.

Steve

Date: 01/05/17 21:46
Author: Kemacprr

Do  a reset on the decoder . Then see if it runs on address 3. 18 in the NCE world is a short address by the way . If you told the unit to run on the long address 18 will not work. 0018 would work but not 18. ---  Ken 

Date: 01/06/17 09:08
Author: BAB

I use the short address first and if it doesnt work then go back and put it in under the long address. Also make sure that you activate it seems that I some how skip it once in a while the first go around. I program by the poke and hope method and find that my NCE does a nice job in the long run.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0354 seconds