Home Open Account Help 258 users online

Model Railroading > The Eye of the Basement: Lionel O Gauge

Date: 01/08/17 03:53
The Eye of the Basement: Lionel O Gauge
Author: bandob

In England, a number of cities have free-standing ferris wheels, not a part of a carnival or fair. The Eye of London and Eye of York are two examples. Thanks to my brother CHakk's great birthday gift, here is The Eye of the Basement.

B&OB

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 01/08/17 05:28
Re: The Eye of the Basement: Lionel O Gauge
Author: electromac

Nice.........

Date: 01/08/17 07:26
Author: railroadjohn01

Very nice keep up the good work!

Date: 01/08/17 08:56
Author: FiveChime

I gather the rotating mechanism on the rotary beacon broke as it is suppose to rotate from heat of the bulb. I think the later Lionel versions had a motor to turn it.

Nice stuff and nice sound.

Regards, Jim Evans

Date: 01/08/17 12:42

Yes, Jim, I was never able to adjust the fins on the housing in a manner that the beacon would rotate. It just sat there.

Finally I gave up and bought the blinking bulb as you see. I do have a new version with the vibration motor and rubber-fingered washer that works much better. I don't think Lionel ever made a gear-driven one, though.

B&OB

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/17 17:07 by bandob.

Date: 01/08/17 15:58
Author: FiveChime

You need just the right beacon top and there used to be many kinds out there. I had the best luck with the cheapest (K-Line as I recall)

Regards, Jim Evans

Date: 01/09/17 11:51
Author: Parthia27

The wheel in London is called The London Eye and in size is way beyond what I would call a fairground Ferris wheel at 443 ft tall. It started out being called The Millennium Wheel and is the world's tallest cantilevered observation wheel.

The Yorkshire Wheel in York is no longer in operation and at 175ft in height was significantly smaller than the London eye but no less imposing.

Cheers

Chris

Date: 01/09/17 13:41

I'm sorry to hear the Yorkshire Wheel is no longer in operation. We enjoyed our ride on it a few years ago, and also liked the look it gave us of the magnificent York Statiion.

B&OB

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0384 seconds