Home Open Account Help 266 users online

Model Railroading > Here comes the DT&I

Date: 01/08/17 12:34
Here comes the DT&I
Author: Jimmies

Made it down to the favourite rail-fanning spot today, just in time to catch the DT&I local on it's way to the parts plant.

​This is of course an Athearn blue-box 86 footer, that's maybe been out in the rain too long.  The rust streaks and the roof are done with my usual method of water-mixable oil colours and a couple of artists paint brushes. The doors got a shot from the air brush (and maybe just a little too much of that) to flatten down the original silver colour.  The trucks and wheels don't show in the pictures, but they're done too. I replaced the stirrup steps with some from A-Line.

Jim

Date: 01/08/17 12:36
Re: Here comes the DT&I

A couple more pictures. And I forgot to mention the dullcote.  That reminds me, I gotta get more dullcote.

JIm

Date: 01/08/17 13:19
Author: Dilworth

great job

Date: 01/08/17 13:35
Author: algoma11

very impressive.

Mike Bannon
St Catharines, ON

Date: 01/08/17 13:54
Author: DynamicBrake

Jim, superb job as usual, but that is to be expected these days!  Thanks for sharing these shots and your method of weathering.

Kent in CArmel Valley

Date: 01/08/17 14:01
Author: hartrick24

Fantastic work on the DT&I. DT&I is one of the railroads I model but none of mine are weathered...

Steve

Date: 01/08/17 14:16
Author: ghemr

Oh heck (hell) yeah--------those are some great models! Once again you're an inspriration to the rest of us!!

Date: 01/08/17 15:02
Author: ghemr

Hmm........I believe Walthers made a pink/purple car that may be right up your alley? Get the hint??

Date: 01/08/17 16:44
Author: icancmp193

It's YYYYUGE and nicely-weathered.
Tom Y

Date: 01/08/17 18:28

CSX_ENG Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hmm........I believe Walthers made a pink/purple
> car that may be right up your alley? Get the
> hint??

​Looks like the GT has a hold of this one. This isn't the Walthers car, it's the Athearn model again, but I think this is/was the "magenta" coloured version that you are thinking of. The original colour fades to this eye catching shade of pink.

Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/17 18:30 by Jimmies.

Date: 01/08/17 19:41
Author: bnsfsd70

Looks great!

- Jeff Carlson

Date: 01/09/17 12:45
Author: australianterrier

Very nice. Great weathering.

Jim

Date: 01/10/17 10:56
Author: Hookdragkick

Very nice. How long did that project take you?

Posted from Android

Date: 01/10/17 12:38
Author: march_hare

Knockout weathering job on both of those cars.  Used to see the real ones coming east on the EL occasionally, looked just like that.

Date: 01/10/17 13:52
Author: SPDRGWfan

The DT&I auto box cars have always been some of my favorites - although I am more interested in the 1970's so prefer modest weathering; the models shown above look very nicely weathered for a longer use time frame.

Date: 01/10/17 14:23

Hookdragkick Wrote:
> Very nice. How long did that project take you?
>
> Posted from Android

It took about a week, give or take a day, once I got started. But actual working time at the bench was probably somewhere around 6 hours. You have to allow time for layers of weathering to dry properly because the paint can smear, and it will get on your fingers. Also there's time for the decals to set up, etc. And, it's just generally not good to rush through it.  I find that if I try to get something done before the hockey game comes on TV, or something like that, then mistakes happen and the freight car suffers for it.  Thanks for asking.

Jim

Date: 01/10/17 14:31

SPDRGWfan Wrote:
> The DT&I auto box cars have always been some of my
> favorites - although I am more interested in the
> 1970's so prefer modest weathering; the models
> shown above look very nicely weathered for a
> longer use time frame.

They're some of my favourites too, and it's because ​I used to get to watch these high-cube boxcars cross the St.Clair river on the CN carfloats 7 days a week, and then they'd get shunted around at the little yard by the river.Then CN built the (damn) new tunnel under the river, and that all went away.

Date: 01/10/17 14:33

You should try weathering a couple of them and see how you do.  Look up some photos on-line if you don't have any yourself, and use them as examples to go by.

hartrick24 Wrote:
> Fantastic work on the DT&I. DT&I is one of the
> railroads I model but none of mine are
> weathered...
>
>
> Steve

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0496 seconds