Home Open Account Help 352 users online

Model Railroading > HO GE Coupler lift bars???

Date: 03/13/17 15:47
HO GE Coupler lift bars???
Author: Atsf814

I'm sure this has been covered but I will ask for my knowledge. Does anyone make accurate modern HO scale GE coupler lift bars or am I reduced to a brass wire and pliers? Any replies appreciated!         

Date: 03/13/17 22:01
Re: HO GE Coupler lift bars???
Author: SRSD45

I ended up buying a Kato handrail set for a GE C44-9W for just the cut levers for this Southern B30-7A1. Earl...

Date: 03/14/17 04:17
Author: MrMRL

Several years back, the super detailing detail parts producer Railflyer Model Prototypes produced or at least had plans for producing scale wire formed GE style cut levers. I honestly do not recall if they ever bore fruit though. And last I know the company shifted focus and/or went belly up with in the past 2-3 years.

Mr. MRL

Date: 03/14/17 13:52
Author: andrewcastle

Mr MRL is right about Railflyer, the coupler lift bars were one of the parts they actually managed to produce. They were beautiful parts but are pretty hard to find now.

If you want plastic maybe you can find a set of Kato or Atlas cut bars, if you want wire you are going to have to bend your own.

Andrew C

Date: 03/15/17 12:12
Author: globalethanol

look at pictures and use a scale rule. make bending jigs out of Evergreen strip styrene. make a jig for each bend and glue the strips to Evergreen sheet stock. be sure to use brass wire .015 or less because brass is very soft and bends easy. don`t use steel or bronze wire. it will ruin the corners of your strips after a couple of bends. now you can make hundreds of them and they all come out the same. it`s well worth the time it takes to make the jigs if your doing alot. this also works great for bending handrail wire on locos. plus the brass wire solders nice to brass stantchions. the front handrails on the UP AC6000 were bent in jigs the same way.

good luck,
twl

Atsf814 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm sure this has been covered but I will ask for
> my knowledge. Does anyone make accurate modern HO
> scale GE coupler lift bars or am I reduced to a
> brass wire and pliers? Any replies appreciated!
>         

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/17 12:14 by globalethanol.

Date: 03/16/17 06:14
Author: Atsf814

Wow! Very helpful and i will give this a go!  Thanks so much! 

Date: 03/16/17 12:05
Author: globalethanol

glue your strips to the evergreen sheet with Testor`s liquid cement. Allow them to dry and melt to the sheet. they will never break.
show us how you make out.

tom

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/17 12:06 by globalethanol.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0503 seconds