Home Open Account Help 321 users online

Model Railroading > Lionel pre-war paint

Date: 03/20/17 16:16
Lionel pre-war paint
Author: Charls

I am refurbishing some pre-war lionel and need paint, preferably in spray can to match the lionel colors chart, I found  Mike Trains but was unable to talk to anyone, just recording, ( maybe in vacation..), 
and also ship internationally
Thanks
C

Date: 03/21/17 05:47
Re: Lionel pre-war paint
Author: HB90MACH

Are you sure you want to repaint? The value of the piece drops through the floor. The paints used were enamel. Finding solvent based enamel that will stick is hard enough. That is on top of doing all the prep work to get it to a printable stage. Doubt you will find thone colors in ready spray today

Date: 03/21/17 06:26
Author: RNP47

I agree...
Leave them as they are

Date: 03/21/17 08:40
Author: Streamliner

I say that if the pieces are sufficiently beat up, AND sufficiently common, go ahead, restore them.  The value of fairly common Lionel & other toy trains, in less than excellent condition has already taken a huge hit and will continue to spiral downward.  Might as well enjoy them anyway you can and if that includes refinishing them, I say go for it.

Hope you are all well 

Allen Drucker

Date: 03/21/17 10:42
Author: ATSF3751

Streamliner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I say that if the pieces are sufficiently beat up,
> AND sufficiently common, go ahead, restore them.
>  The value of fairly common Lionel & other toy
> trains, in less than excellent condition has
> already taken a huge hit and will continue to
> spiral downward.  Might as well enjoy them anyway
> you can and if that includes refinishing them, I
> say go for it.
>
> Hope you are all well 
>
> Allen Drucker

Yes, I would agree. However, it might depend on how long you wish to have them. Prices can flucuate on antique items over time. Todays throw-away may be tomorrow's treasure, and restoring them could dramatically affect future pricing. As for painting them, stay away from "shake-a-can" paints. Learn to use an inexpensive airbrush and mix to match. Enamel paints from Testors, for example, are readily available and can be mixed to approximate the original colors.

Date: 03/21/17 13:44
Author: trainnut7

Contact a auto paint store supplyer  They can mix just about any color you might like in a spray can mode.  Last summer I ask my store to make some spray Pullman green for me.  At first he thought I was nuts.  But after looking his huge paint catalog he found Pullman green.  Be sure to tell them what you are going to be painting.  You will probably have to buy two large cans min. 

Date: 03/21/17 16:42

Thanks guys, my interest is in the restoration part, what is worth is secondary, I do this to have fun.will check with Quest car part, they supposibly mix paint as Napa also.,
Here is what other scale I am working on, almost done with the feedwater

Date: 03/21/17 21:29
Author: RNP47

Holy Mackerel! Tell us more!

Date: 03/22/17 06:07
Author: HB90MACH

That a slightly different prewar model

Date: 03/22/17 16:36

Since that pic, the front and rear numberboard are on, next will be that feedwater, froint and rear headlight(pic), the side and valve rods and window frames when the ground is dry
C

Date: 03/22/17 18:32
Author: Streamliner

And exactly WHAT scale is this beauty????

Date: 03/23/17 14:37

1:1The full deal, Static disply outside the Canadian Science and Tech Museum in Ottawa 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0367 seconds