Home Open Account Help 235 users online

Model Railroading > Another item for the "There's a Prototype for Everything" file

Date: 04/15/17 01:23
Another item for the "There's a Prototype for Everything" file
Author: bearease

A while back I wanted to change the number on a duplicate boxcar. I figured just the last digit will do -- keep it simple, right?
Well, the decals I had on hand were either too small or too big to match the existing car numbers. Being the impatient persion that I am, I went ahead and used the slightly bigger digit. After all, it's in N scale and with the naked eye, it's difficult to catch.
Then I see the old, beat up Operation Lifesaver 6720 on yesterday's (Friday) Dunsmuir Cam at 5:53PM.
Guess UP didn't couldn't bother to find proper sized decals either!

Date: 04/15/17 08:09
Re: Another item for the "There's a Prototype for Everything" fil
Author: LittleDoc

Nice catch!!

Steve

Date: 04/15/17 09:10
Author: CPR_4000

Speaking of duplicate numbers . . . after operating for years on a friend's SP&S layout, one night I discovered that I had two boxcars with the same number in my train. Until then, nobody ever noticed. Not even the owner.

Date: 04/15/17 10:26
Author: cabman

Aren't we a little too obsessed with car numbers when nobody notices them anyway?  Just another thing on the long list of what makes us model railroaders wierd! 

Date: 04/15/17 12:48
Author: CPR_4000

cabman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Aren't we a little too obsessed with car numbers when nobody notices them anyway?

You don't notice car numbers unless you're operating with a waybill system and you have one XYZ 123456 going to the pulp track and one XYZ 123456 going to the scale track and they're both in your train!

Date: 04/15/17 16:14
Author: cabman

I never thought of that!

Date: 04/15/17 22:05
Author: bearease

cabman Wrote: 
------------------------------------------------------- 
> Aren't we a little too obsessed with car numbers when nobody notices them anyway?

Talk about obsessed, I don't even have a layout...

...yet!

Date: 04/18/17 11:13
Author: bobdavis

There's a prototype for that, too.  Years ago when I was with Conrail, we somehow got two gondolas stenciled with the same number.  As soon as the pair left the shop, one was loaded and billed to a customer off line.  It showed up at the customer's siding a few days later, soon followed by the second car, an empty!

Bob  

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0488 seconds