Home Open Account Help 247 users online

Model Railroading > Powering a small layout with 6V batteries

Date: 04/23/17 10:48
Powering a small layout with 6V batteries
Author: inCHI

I have a 4 x 8 foot layout wired for DC, with track power wired separately from accessories power. I want to do an outdoor photo shoot where, at the very least, I can light up the accessories power, which includes buildings, street lights, and some other items.

A friend said I can do it with two 6V batteries wired in series to make 12V. Is that the case? If so, is there any chance of getting track power as well? Would I able to hook up two additional 6V's to the track power and get some kind of power for a single engine?

Date: 04/23/17 11:14
Re: Powering a small layout with 6V batteries
Author: Lighter

> A friend said I can do it with two 6V batteries
> wired in series to make 12V.

Welcome to model railroading circa 1930. Sure you can do it. I'd not risk a contemporary electronic power pack for control unless I'd know straight DC would be OK. Back in the days of 6 volt car batteries, model railroads were controlled by resistance dimmers and, often, creative ballasts and ghost loads.

Date: 04/23/17 11:26

Lighter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > A friend said I can do it with two 6V batteries
> > wired in series to make 12V.
>
> Welcome to model railroading circa 1930. Sure you
> can do it. I'd not risk a contemporary electronic
> power pack for control unless I'd know straight DC
> would be OK. Back in the days of 6 volt car
> batteries, model railroads were controlled by
> resistance dimmers and, often, creative ballasts
> and ghost loads.

Ok, so maybe I should skip powering the track this way, but accessories might be ok?

Date: 04/23/17 11:35
Author: Lighter

> Ok, so maybe I should skip powering the track this
> way, but accessories might be ok?

Should be fine. 6 volts might be enough alone. If your lights and so forth are mainly LED then a 9 volt battery might be a better answer.

Date: 04/23/17 11:37

Thanks. The lights are mixed between LED's and bulbs. Maybe I'll have example photos this week of how it went.

Date: 04/23/17 11:50
Author: VunderBob

You could do it easily. I know of a couple of off-grid types that use a marine battery to run the layout, then recharge the battery elsewhere.

You could use an inverter to generate AC for standard throttles, or modify a published throttle plan by removing the step down transformer and rectifier stages. Inverters can be found at auto supplies, truck stops, RV shops, and of course, Wally*World.

Date: 04/23/17 12:49
Author: TCnR

With more understanding of Electronics the battery could be connected to a model power pack, but there's some safety issues in there. For a short term set up it's not worthwhile and would confuse the original project.

If there is a transformer in the power pack there is danger of it produces a high voltage. Also concerns about wiring any circuitry backwards and damaging the circuitry.

Date: 04/23/17 13:58
Author: railstiesballast

For about $20 you can get a 100w AC inverter for a cigarette lighter 12v DC plug, $50 gets you 400 watts.
Either one gets you USB charging ports too.
This info from one minute on Google, checking Autozone and Wal-Mart.
A one amp DC motor drawing 12 volts is only 12 watts so even the little one has plenty of power.

Date: 04/23/17 15:30
Author: steeplecab

It seems like for what you're trying to do, unless you're going to some other rural location, an extension cord might be the simplest thing.

Date: 04/23/17 17:23

steeplecab Wrote:
> It seems like for what you're trying to do, unless
> you're going to some other rural location, an
> extension cord might be the simplest thing.

Yeah, it would be, but I want to get a background that blends seamlessly into the layout. I did it last spring at a much earlier stage at this location, which worked perfectly, and was about two miles away. I swung by there today to check that it looked the same, and now it is filled with new condos going up. Grrr... gotta find another spot.

Date: 04/23/17 17:51
Author: imrl

For a short period, a car battery and a cheap 300-500 watt power inverter and a small basic transformer should get you a brief bit of operation. They seem to be available on Amazon for 25-35 dollars. When we had a power outage a few years ago, I powered an alarm clock and my laptop with a similar setup for a few days.

Date: 04/23/17 19:11
Author: TCnR

How long would a simple Computer style UPS last?

Some even have a carry handle.

Date: 04/24/17 08:14
Author: SeaboardMan

The car that's getting you to the shooting location has a 12v battery installed. Why not use your jumper cable to power the whole thing? Just be careful not to let the clips touch each other.

Date: 04/24/17 15:44
Author: SPHTS_001

Years ago, I made a Christmas display on a counter where I worked. It was in "G" scale and used a 1/24th scale RGS 2-8-0 sitting by the depot. After many days I started getting the old, "is it a real train?" questions. Finally, having no way to really power the thing properly, I used a regular 9V transistor radio type battery and the lights came on and the engine moved a few inches, everybody was amazed; so anything is possible.

John Huey
Simi Valley, CA
http://mancosbob.rrpicturearchives.net/default.aspx

Date: 04/24/17 17:48
Author: PHall

SeaboardMan Wrote:
> The car that's getting you to the shooting
> location has a 12v battery installed. Why not use
> your jumper cable to power the whole thing? Just
> be careful not to let the clips touch each other.

The amps from a car battery would turn an HO motor into a melted mess.
Inverter and a cheap transformer is the SAFE way to do it.

Date: 04/24/17 20:10

SeaboardMan Wrote:
> The car that's getting you to the shooting
> location has a 12v battery installed. Why not use
> your jumper cable to power the whole thing? Just
> be careful not to let the clips touch each other.

Honestly I don't trust the condition of my battery that much, but as others pointed out, the safety concerns are a good reason to avoid it.

Date: 04/25/17 04:51
Author: VunderBob

PHall Wrote:
> SeaboardMan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The car that's getting you to the shooting
> > location has a 12v battery installed. Why not
> use
> > your jumper cable to power the whole thing?
> Just
> > be careful not to let the clips touch each
> other.
>
> The amps from a car battery would turn an HO motor
> into a melted mess.
> Inverter and a cheap transformer is the SAFE way
> to do it.

Amps are on an availability basis, not constant like voltage. You could have enough amperage available to arc weld, but if the load resistance limits flow to 1/2 amp at 12 volts, you'll get 1/2 amp. Drop a quarter across the rails, and all bets are off; you'll spend plenty of time changing burnt track and wiring.

Think about it. If you run your layout on a 15 amp household circuit, you are NOT using 15 amps of current. A battery is no different in that regard. Quite a few of you are confusing volts vs. amps.

Inverter and power pack is easiest way, but customizing a transistor throttle circuit to run from a battery is not rocket science.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0778 seconds