Home Open Account Help 346 users online

Model Railroading > IM is doing more MILW 40' ribside boxcars

Date: 04/25/17 14:16
IM is doing more MILW 40' ribside boxcars
Author: fbe

Here is the flyer.

http://intermountain-railway.com/currentflyers.html

These cars have the double panel Murphy roofs and the 4-4 rolling pin ends which make them later construction. The last runs had the same ends and diagonal panel roofs.

The undecorated car will allow a kit bash of double door cars including cars with the doors removed for hauling green veneer bundles to plywood mills. This single door car could be modified with 9' doors for load restraining appliance cars. WP also had at least one of these modified cars in their billboard lettering.

The Miller car with the orange door was not seen out west being captive to the upper Midwest. The Miller Brewing logo on the orange door with roof hatches make it interesting. There were 3 batches of these cars on the MILW all having 4-4 ends.

So it is time to get those reservations in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/17 18:00 by fbe.

Date: 04/25/17 19:21
Re: IM is doing more MILW 40' ribside boxcars
Author: RuleG

fbe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> The Miller car with the orange door was not seen
> out west being captive to the upper Midwest. The
> Miller Brewing logo on the orange door with roof
> hatches make it interesting. There were 3 batches
> of these cars on the MILW but I think this model
> from the 4-4 end cars. The other groups had 5-5
> ends though I have not seen photos.
>

This is a good car for those wanting to model the part of Milwaukee which made beer famous.

Date: 04/25/17 21:23

I was about to drill 6 holes in the roof of one of my decorated IM cars in preparation to painting the door orange. Instead I will buy one of these new cars and use the project car for another model.

I will be down to the LHS to make some reservations.

Date: 04/26/17 06:52
Author: kevink

fbe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was about to drill 6 holes in the roof of one of
> my decorated IM cars in preparation to painting
> the door orange.

I was hoping that Fox Valley Models would do an HO version of this as I have one of their excellent N scale cars:
http://www.foxvalleymodels.com/NFrt-Milw40ShortRibBox.html

But I'm glad to see IM doing this car.

Date: 04/26/17 07:59

I was not aware Fox Valley had gone beyond the basic ribside car in N scale. The biggest problem I see is all the SEL cars were rebuilt at the Milwaukee Shops with 9' wide doors. I am doing a couple of these cars in HO using IM and ribside Car Co models. The Ribside Car Co has a diagonal panel roof while the IM car has a murphy roof.

At one time there were 4 companies doing Milwaukee Road 40' ribside cars. None of them have produced any in years. Athearn has done a run of the old MDC cars which has been around since the metal side car era but it is not up to today's standards of detail accuracy. Exactrail has done the 40' car with long ribs and 5-5 dreadnaught ends but that is out of production. That needs to be redone with the billboard and large herald lettering. Ribside Car company did a wonderful assortment of 40' and 50' cars in single and double door versions, short and long rib sides, 5-5 and 4-4 as well as end door cars and Murphy or diagonal panel roofs. There are still a few modifications Milwaukee Shops made to doors which Ribside Car Co did not get around and some of these can be kitbashed from these IM undecorated kits. Ribside did do the 50' car which was stretched from earlier 40' cars. Note the undecorated IM car is only $19.95 which is a good deal in today's market.

I applaud Intermountain for working to keep these MILW cars alive. If you look at old pictures of railroad yards from the 40s, 50s, 60s and 70s you are likely to see at least one of these unique cars there. The MILW built these cars in lots of 750-1000 cars over 10 years. The last lot was 3000 cars. Everyone's class 1 railroad layout can use a couple of these cars.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0603 seconds