Home Open Account Help 272 users online

Model Railroading > Decal question

Date: 04/27/17 09:17
Decal question
Author: Pattenburg

I just placed some decals on a freight car and was wondering if Testor's Dull Coat might serve as a protective coating. I realize there are certain products designed for protecting decals but spending $$$... to protect three small decals is not something I would want to spend my money and then have it go to waste. Thanks for any suggestions.

Date: 04/27/17 09:39
Re: Decal question
Author: grahamline

No reason Dullcote would not work. Will it blend with the finish on the model, or do you need to spray the whole package?

edit: Model Master has a clear matte finish that is nice but you have to apply it kind of sparingly and 'dry' so it doesn't react with some acrylics.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/17 13:10 by grahamline.

Date: 04/27/17 10:35
Author: CPR_4000

There might be better products made for this purpose these days, but Dullcote has long been used as a finish coat over decals.

Date: 04/27/17 12:46
Author: icancmp193

Dullcote pretty much my standard MO.

TJY

Date: 04/27/17 13:11
Author: Pattenburg

Thanks to one and all for your replies!

Date: 04/27/17 13:40
Author: SantaFeRuss

I use a clear gloss spray than once that dries I spray Dull Cote. Works well for sealing decals for me.

SantaFeRuss

Posted from Android

Date: 04/27/17 19:27
Author: jburek

I always use Dullcoat to seal my decals. Mixed 50/50 with lacquer thinner and applied with an airbrush at 20 psi. Have been using it for years with great results.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0334 seconds