Home Open Account Help 282 users online

Model Railroading > Soundtraxx; why choose Economi over Tsunami2

Date: 04/27/17 22:56
Soundtraxx; why choose Economi over Tsunami2
Author: fbe

There is a notable price difference but both have 16 bit sound with many of the same sound files.

Thanks

Date: 04/28/17 00:13
Re: Soundtraxx; why choose Economi over Tsunami2
Author: Finderskeepers

The Tsunami 2 has 32 bit 16 channel sound, while the Econami has 16 bit 12 channel sound. The Tsunami 2 has 60 whistles compared to the econami's 16. The tsunami 2 also offers upgrades such as adjustable steam cut-off, fireman Fred and Ed (not on econami) as well as adjustable reverb. The Tsunami 2 has 10 different chuff selections, compared to 8 on the econami
On the diesel side the tsunami has 40 horns compared to the econami's 16, and such features as HEP mode, straight to 8, as well as fuelling sounds, steam heat sounds and cab chatter. The Tsunami offers 9 different prime movers compared to the Econami's 5 prime movers. Also the tsunami has a dynamic digital diesel exhaust.
Is it worth the extra $30.00? Only your ears can give you that answer.

Date: 04/28/17 07:00
Author: BAB

I have both well all three the original one, the Eco and also the 2 all work well but the biggest difference is the 2 over the original. I was told by someone big into DCC sound the reason why they did it was to add all kinds of extra sounds into the new chip. Seems over in the EU they want every sound but foot steps into the cab. The sequence of events up to and including the train moving must be done exactly like prototype. Air tests and starting the engine; and all others.
One of the reasons I like the Soundtraxx over any other brand is its easy to program off of my NCE hand held without even using a computer program. Also sounds are much better, have lok sound in about three engines that will be removed and Soundtraxx put in as the bell sounds like someone hitting a pipe with a hammer, chuff on my steam engine does not have a nice deep chuff to it.
My Scale Trains turbine is sort of ok but sounds more like an airplane jet than what has been recorded off of the full scale ones. And to reset things on it is not easly done without a computer program which for the most part should not be needed.
Just my take on DCC sound types also am not deep into computers like others are.

Date: 04/28/17 08:43
Author: tmurray

Hmmm...

None of the current brand of sound decoder, ST, ESU, BLI, TCS, or Digitrax, require a computer to change CV's to select different horns/whistles, bells, etc as long as they're stored on the decoder.
If you'd like to change the sound set on the decoder (if the brand allows it -all except ST do), THEN you require a PC with a programmer to do so.

The Econami contains sounds from various prime movers and some horns/whistles of past ST decoders, with 16-bit output and various pin types 21, PNP, or 9. Offerings by other manufacturers took the decoders and brought them into this decade with LED support, offering more updated sounds (there are more than two kinds of 645), than ST has offered. The Tsu2 is ST's catch-up product.

If you're happy with the sound output of the Eco, and don't need as many loco sounds, bells and whistles (if you will) go for it. It offers several sounds, and isn't too pricey.
Here's the comparison chart between the two:
http://www.soundtraxx.com/dsd/

-Tom

BAB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have both well all three the original one, the
> Eco and also the 2 all work well but the biggest
> difference is the 2 over the original. I was told
> by someone big into DCC sound the reason why they
> did it was to add all kinds of extra sounds into
> the new chip. Seems over in the EU they want every
> sound but foot steps into the cab. The sequence
> of events up to and including the train moving
> must be done exactly like prototype. Air tests and
> starting the engine; and all others.
> One of the reasons I like the Soundtraxx over
> any other brand is its easy to program off of my
> NCE hand held without even using a computer
> program. Also sounds are much better, have lok
> sound in about three engines that will be removed
> and Soundtraxx put in as the bell sounds like
> someone hitting a pipe with a hammer, chuff on my
> steam engine does not have a nice deep chuff to
> it.
> My Scale Trains turbine is sort of ok but sounds
> more like an airplane jet than what has been
> recorded off of the full scale ones. And to reset
> things on it is not easly done without a computer
> program which for the most part should not be
> needed.
> Just my take on DCC sound types also am not
> deep into computers like others are.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0523 seconds