Home Open Account Help 274 users online

Model Railroading > Scalecoat 2 Primer

Date: 05/23/17 17:56
Scalecoat 2 Primer
Author: ALCO630

Does any body know if Scalecoat 2 primer dries gloss or flat? As a primer it should dry flat but Minutemans' website implies it dries glossy. It's tough to call during working hours so I'm asking here first.

Doug Wetherhold
Macungie, PA

Date: 05/23/17 18:29
Re: Scalecoat 2 Primer
Author: TomG

I think all scalecoat dries semi glossy

Date: 05/23/17 18:37

Their site says all dry glossy unless otherwise noted. It says SC 1 dries flat but doesn't say about SC 2. I would prefer flat.

Posted from Android

Doug Wetherhold
Macungie, PA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/17 18:38 by ALCO630.

Date: 05/23/17 18:42
Author: tomstp

Locomotive black (#1 in the old days) was a flat paint that did not adhere well. So I used # 10 black which was much darker black and dried to a high gloss.

Date: 05/23/17 19:04

I am looking for a non acrylic primer that dries and looks like the gray Floquill used to. I'm on my last bottle.

Posted from Android

Doug Wetherhold
Macungie, PA

Date: 05/23/17 21:38
Author: Valleyman

I ran into the same issue once my supply of Floquil primer started dwindling. After some research and trial and error. I discovered a great product. Tamiya fine surface primer (TAM87042) medium size spray can. Spray right out of the can. Just as good as my airbrush. Drys flat and excepts Star Brand paints and Floquil paints. Primer also comes in white. $ 8 to $11 bucks a can. I get mine on eBay.

Valleyman

Date: 05/24/17 01:05
Author: ESPEE5318

I use Tamiya primer in places that I use to use Floquil. They have a gray and a fine white (less fill), cans and bottles, bottle is thinned with lacquer thinner.

Date: 05/24/17 02:27
Author: Columbusrrfan

Doug,
Besides the Tamiya, which is good stuff, two other non-acrylic primers I have used with success are the Model Master super fine grey primer and Gunze Mr. Finishing Surfacer 1500. Both airbrush beautifully. The MM is thin enough it didn't require thinning. The Gunze was thinned 60/40 thinner to primer. Gunze does best with its own thinner- Mr. Color Thinner.
Jack Mougin

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/24/17 05:31
Author: ATSF3751

I use Allclad 2 grey primer. Dries to a gloss finish. I also use Scalecoat MOW grey for some brass projects, it also dries to a gloss finish.

Date: 05/24/17 06:04

I have the Model Master but haven't tried it yet. I've heard lots of praise about the Tamiya but was under the impression that it only came in cans. I might have to try some. Thanks.

Posted from Android

Doug Wetherhold
Macungie, PA

Date: 05/24/17 09:58
Author: Dilworth

tru color makes dark and lite primer i have used both

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0617 seconds