Home Open Account Help 359 users online

Model Railroading > Lima LS-1000/1200 Scale Decision Survey

Date: 05/24/17 17:22
Lima LS-1000/1200 Scale Decision Survey
Author: Dreadnought

Hello!

After some feedback on another thread, I've decided that the next product I should look into pursuing should be a resin shell kit for a Lima LS-1000/1200 Switcher. This is because the LS-1000 and LS-1200 used an identical carbody, so both could be modeled by one model. It was also used by several major roads, including B&O, Wabash, NYC, New Haven, and others.

The front locomotive in the attached picture is a Lima LS-1000.

Now I want to decide whether to produce the kit in HO scale, N scale or both. Hence, I have created a survey to gauge interest in each scale.

This kit will hopefully be able to be adapted to either Bachmann or Atlas Alco chassis in N scale, or the Stewart Hobbies VO-1000 in HO Scale. If you have interest in the kit, please fill out the form. Once I decide what scale to do the kit in, I will begin taking pre-orders. If enough pre-orders are received, the locomotive will be produced. The cost of the kit will be about $110 in HO scale or around $75 in N scale. Also, hand-finished ready-to-run models will be available.

Here is the form:
https://goo.gl/forms/2X89pFVWw9x571042

Thanks for your input.
Dreadnought

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/17 11:47 by Dreadnought.

Date: 05/24/17 18:13
Re: Lima LS-1000/1200 Scale Decision Survey
Author: dlh

You'd most likely sell quite a few of these here in the Cincinnati area as Cincinnati Union Terminal had a small fleet and later Armco Steel also had a fleet in Middletown, Ohio. The Whitewater Valley, a tourist railroad in the area, has an operating Lima in its collection.

Date: 05/24/17 18:22
Author: icancmp193

Someone (I forget whom) has offered this in HO Scale.

TJY

Date: 05/24/17 18:42

TJY,

I believe you are referring to JJL models. So far as I can tell, they are no longer in business. Their website was last updated in 2015, I believe. If anyone has more information on this, I'd like to hear it.

Regards,
Dreadnought

Date: 05/24/17 18:57
Author: ESPEE5318

Last activity on FB is late March of 2017

Date: 05/24/17 19:09

Espee,

Thank you for the information. I don't believe they produce their model of the Lima switcher anymore, though. It appears all of their recent activity has to do with caboose kits. The only posts about that kit I was able to find mentioned that it was an 'old kit', which makes me believe it has been out of production for some time.

Dreadnought

Date: 05/24/17 19:14
Author: CPR_4000

JJL Models was Joe Loflin (sp?) who passed away in the past couple of years. The company was sold and is doing business as JJL Models. They have a Facebook page under the same name. Looks like they're doing an injection molded Erie Dunmore caboose but there's no mention of resin models or the Lima switcher kit. You can contact them through FB.

Here's a thread on another site with pertinent info. The new JJL chimes in a little ways down the page:
http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/19637

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/17 19:14 by CPR_4000.

Date: 05/24/17 21:04
Author: kpcmcpkva

I never thought that lima switcher would even have a chance to show up in N scale. New Haven had about 10 that stayed pretty
much in yard work at Maybrook yard at the western extreme of the NH, although some also toiled at Cedar Hill east of New Haven.

New Haven, under Pat Mcginnes, tried to put them in mainline freight service as the rotated between Maybrook and Cedar Hill for
monthly inspections. J W Swanbergh's "New Haven Power", has a picture of four of them working a mile long train. the idea did not work
and they went back to traveling dead in train for monthly inspections.

Would absolutely recommend you post/make contact with the New Haven Historical and Technical group to post this possible production

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/17 21:10 by kpcmcpkva.

Date: 05/25/17 07:30
Author: P

How about in O scale?

I could be mistaken, but CUT had maybe 6 of the 750hp version, of which the Whitewater Valley version was. #25.

I believe the larger hp units were at Armco and scattered elsewhere.

Posted from Android

Date: 05/25/17 08:05
Chassis Update

Hey guys,

Here's an update on the chassis. The Alco switchers, unfortunately, have incorrect trucks in comparison to the Lima switchers. However, the chassis which has correct trucks - the Baldwin VO-1000, made by Bowser and Stewart - has a higher hood than the Lima switcher. This makes me unsure whether the mechanism will fit under a shorter hood, especially if DCC and Sound is installed. If anyone has any information on the feasibility of this, please tell me. I have added the Baldwin switchers as choices for the chassis in the survey.

Regards,
Dreadnought

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0625 seconds