Home Open Account Help 329 users online

Model Railroading > Vehicles You Want in Scale

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 05/27/17 14:35
Vehicles You Want in Scale
Author: Dreadnought

Thanks to the great feedback on my Diesel Shells thread, I thought I might start another thread along the same lines.

This thread is about vehicles you want to see in scale. There are already a great many vehicles captured in scale, but the number of vehicles produced at any point in time is truly mind-boggling, meaning that a lot of vehicles fall through the cracks. What vehicles do you wish were available in HO or any other scale?

One deficiency I've noted is buses in any era. There are certainly a few good buses out there, including Rapido's fancy new one, but I think I can count on two hands the number of different types. Alternatives to the ready-to-run manufacturers, like Sylvan, produce little-to-no bus kits. Shapeways lists a total of 17 items under 'Buses' in HO scale, and some of them aren't US prototypes.

Here's a few buses I'd like to see myself; I model the transition era, so they are from around that time.

ACF-Brill Model IC-41
Aerocoach Mastercraft P-372

Images of both are attached.

A good deal of vehicles are available for the transition era already, so it must be very difficult modeling vehicles for anyone doing anything earlier. I briefly looked into modeling the '20's or '30's, only to find the shocking paucity of vehicles from that time!

What do you all want to see in scale?

Thanks for any replies,
Dreadnought

Date: 05/27/17 14:38
Re: Vehicles You Want in Scale
Author: BNModeler

Station Wagons, 4 door sedans, pick-up trucks, basically anything on 4 wheels, import or domestic from the 1970's thru 1989's

Date: 05/27/17 15:08
Author: Trains4Brains

Some HO scale AMC AMXs or Javelins.

Posted from Android

Date: 05/27/17 15:08
Author: Trains4Brains

Some HO scale AMC AMXs or Javelins.

Posted from Android

Date: 05/27/17 15:19
Author: TomG

Id love to see an older Gillig School bus in HO. This model started in the 50s and was discontinued in 1983. It was used all over the west coast with many surviving into the late 90s. After retirement plenty have gone on to being turned into motor homes. The same model was also made for colleges which have the same body without the red lights and with optional reclining seats inside. The College model in the picture had the rare sedan door and is still in service today. She will be 40 years old next year.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/17 15:43 by TomG.

Date: 05/27/17 15:27
Author: RailThunder

I would like to see some of the other type charter and intercity buses from the 70s. Also, do them in Trailways too.

Date: 05/27/17 16:40
Author: icancmp193

Echoing some of the above posts, there's not a lot of later 60's and 70's stuff out there. It's either vintage or very modern.
Several of the buses pictured were once made in plaster (Hydrocal) by David P Roberts, down in Florida. Some were better than others, but with a good paint job they could be made to look pretty good.

TJY

Date: 05/27/17 16:53
Author: tracktime

Anything from Crown Motorcoach Corp.

Cheers,
Harry

Date: 05/27/17 17:25
Author: SPDRGWfan

I desperately need 1970s era domestic common automobiles, vans and pickup trucks to fill open auto rack without having to to win the lottery in order to do so.

Cheers, Jim

Posted from Android

Date: 05/27/17 17:34
Author: 41

A shuttle bus in HO and N scale. River Point Station announced them years ago, and .......silence.

Date: 05/27/17 17:46
Author: mearsksealand

I would like see more maintenance way vehicles of the modern era--like you see along the racks these days

Dale Smith

Date: 05/27/17 17:52
Author: obsessedfoamer

THE "A TEAM" VAN!!!

Date: 05/27/17 18:06
Author: inCHI

A vast quantity of common modern cars have not been made, as I'm sure many know. I heard from a store owner that it has to do with licensing. Obvious gaps I can think of: Toyota or Honda sedans or pickup trucks. Ford and Chevy sedans and many pickups. Busch made a Crown Vic and a Focus but that might be it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/17 05:41 by inCHI.

Date: 05/27/17 18:16
Author: Dreadnought

inCHI,

I can agree with you on that point. I'm not sure how that works. I'm trying to get some legal counsel on this right now, so stay tuned and I'll try and update you all on the legal ramifications of this type of thing.

Regards,
Dreadnought

Date: 05/27/17 19:29
Author: upkpfan

I would like to see a Red and Black fendered 1940 Chev. 3/4 T LWB, step side pu. Have the real thing, now need a model. upkpfan

Date: 05/27/17 21:24
Author: toledopatch

I'd also be on board for common 1970s and especially 1980s automobiles, pickups, SUVs, and vans, as well as tractor-trailers. Everything out there seems to be either from the 1950s or 2000+ .

Date: 05/27/17 22:13
Author: MojaveBill

Our Mojave Transportation Museum Foundation is about to take on loan from our school district the oldest operating Crown bus in California, which we will use to give flight line rides
at the Mojave Air & Space Port on the third Saturday of each month from 10 to 2 during Plane Crazy Saturday.

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/17 22:16 by MojaveBill.

Date: 05/27/17 23:35
Author: arwye

For something completely different, and badly needed for those of us who like maintenance of way equipment, how about a small crawler crane such as this American owned and operated by the Great Northern Railway? Plenty of documentation, plans, photos etc. are available through the Historical Construction Equipment Association and their archive. Possibly less hassle as well to get a model such as this into production as opposed to dealing with the current car and truck manufacturers and their licensing requirements. Cheers, Richard.

Date: 05/28/17 04:04
Author: kgmontreal

There is almost no North American construction equipment form the steam-diesel tansition era available. We can purchase many European hydraulic backhoes which, while sold here, are too modern for many layouts. Dozers, early front end loaders, cable backhoes, crawler cranes would be great.

KG

Date: 05/28/17 04:47
Author: Hookdragkick

Early 80s Ford Bronco IIs and late 80s, early 90s VW Golf MK2/GTI with the square headlamps!

Posted from Android

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0976 seconds