Home Open Account Help 309 users online

Model Railroading > Short under the table switch machines?

Date: 05/28/17 17:09
Short under the table switch machines?
Author: inCHI

I have a layout I'm building on a 4 x 8 foot sheet of 1 1/2" inch foam. The original plan didn't have switches, much less switch machines, but now I want four of them to be involved. I bought tortoise machines without thinking through that they are 3 inches tall. Are there any shorter or more compact machines out there? The underside of this is open, so I could let the Tortoise machines float underneath it, but when I move this thing around I'm worried their get clipped. For example, I use copper tape wiring that is flush with the underside to avoid handing wires getting caught on something while I move things around, so I'd like to keep things flush.

Date: 05/28/17 18:25
Re: Short under the table switch machines?
Author: BCutter

Are you wedded to the 1-1/2" thickness for the layout? If not could you add another piece of foam of the same thickness and create hollows where you need the switch machines? Or run strips of the foam though at points leaving space for your wiring harness to remain recessed. Or use hand throws! O am sure others will come up with better ideas!

Bruce

Date: 05/28/17 18:34

I was thinking of glueing another 1" or 1.5" inch piece of foam underneath to accommodate the tortoise machines, but at the moment, I have some odd constraints to consider. This layout will be cut in half, like making about a 4 x 5 ft. section and a 4 x 3 ft. section. That is for portability. The portability is needed because I have to get it out of a 1 bedroom apartment on the second floor, down some tight stairs, through an annoying get, and into the back of a minivan. I've got a similar layout that is two 4 x 4 foot sections and the low end of it - where the layout is never more than 10 inches tall, top to bottom without buildings - is a breeze this way. The high end of that layout, with a hill that makes it something like 20 inches tall, is more difficult to move. This new layout has a hill/mountain portion that is taller, and I am concerned about adding height underneath to accommodate the switch machines. But the same concern is why I'd like to avoid leaving them exposed, because I think I would knock one against a door at somepoint and then throw off the whole switch.

As for hand throws ... the somewhat crazy idea I have for this is that with two passing sidings at either end of a loop, I am going to automate two-train operation that meets at alternate sidings. So for that, I need powered switches.

BCutter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are you wedded to the 1-1/2" thickness for the
> layout? If not could you add another piece of
> foam of the same thickness and create hollows
> where you need the switch machines? Or run strips
> of the foam though at points leaving space for
> your wiring harness to remain recessed. Or use
> hand throws! O am sure others will come up with
> better ideas!
>
> Bruce

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/17 18:35 by inCHI.

Date: 05/28/17 18:53
Author: Railpower5400

How about Atlas #65 undertable switch machine's?

Walt

Posted from Android

Date: 05/28/17 18:56
Author: Setandcentered

I don't think the Tortoise machines will work very well if they're only mounted to the foam.

They develop a lot of torque and lateral force, so they could eventually work themselves loose. Maybe check what their mounting instructions call for.

Micromark sells some kind of slow motion machine, and in my mind's eye their profile was a bit lower. You still might have the same problem if you're mounting directly to foam though.

Dave

Posted from Android

Date: 05/28/17 19:32
Author: rschonfelder

Check out DCC Concepts. They have a smaller machine than Tortoise ... Cobalt series.

It is an Aussie company which is gaining worldwide sales and now has set up an office in Yorkshire UK. I believe there is someone handling their stuff in Donald land too.

Rick

Date: 05/28/17 22:04
Author: barrydraper

Model Railroad Control Systems also has a very compact switch motor. See http://www.modelrailroadcontrolsystems.com/switch-motors-drivers-mounts-etc

Barry Draper

Date: 05/28/17 22:28
Author: Casselton

You might give servos a try. I use both Tortoise switch machines and servos. The electronics I use to drive the servos and hardware are from Tam Valley Depot. Servos are reliable, compact and quiet. I mount mine directly to the foam. Link to Tam Valley Depot. http://www.tamvalleydepot.com
Mark
Casselton
Houston, TX

Date: 05/29/17 00:32
Author: fbe

Cut a hole through the foam large enough to drop the switch machine through. Mount the switch machine to a piece of 1/4" plywood or Masonite. Inset this into the top of the foam placing the switch machine where it needs to be to activate the switch.

Date: 05/29/17 06:13
Author: jo-tower

Why not use spring switches on both sidings?
CJV in Illinois

Date: 05/29/17 06:26
Author: herronpeter

Do a Google search as I've seen a couple of articles on how to mount them sideways.

Peter

Date: 05/29/17 06:49
Author: BAB

Casselton Wrote:
> You might give servos a try. I use both Tortoise
> switch machines and servos. The electronics I
> use to drive the servos and hardware are from Tam
> Valley Depot. Servos are reliable, compact and
> quiet. I mount mine directly to the foam. Link
> to Tam Valley Depot.
> http://www.tamvalleydepot.com
> Mark
> Casselton
> Houston, TX
I have uses servo throws also using the mounts from I think Barrett to mount them. Found ESU makes a controller for four machines that works much better, easier to setup and is very user friendly than the
Tam Valley for me. Also allows the use of standard off the shelf push buttons like the rest of mine do.

Date: 05/29/17 06:59
Author: BAB

rschonfelder Wrote:
> Check out DCC Concepts. They have a smaller
> machine than Tortoise ... Cobalt series.
>
> It is an Aussie company which is gaining worldwide
> sales and now has set up an office in Yorkshire
> UK. I believe there is someone handling their
> stuff in Donald land too.
>
> Rick

Know one railroad group that put cobalt machines in and took them all back out and installed Tortoise machines didn't work out like they should I was told at there sale table.

Date: 05/29/17 07:38
Author: globalethanol

use titebond glue to laminate a piece of 1/8 thick masonite to the underside of your foam. then mount the Tortise machine with small self tapping screws to the masonite. it will never come loose. stay away from latex liquid nails for laminating, it`s lousy for this purpose.

tom

Date: 05/29/17 10:07

Thanks for all of the suggestions! That gives me several options to consider. The masonite idea is an interesting possibility.

Date: 05/29/17 11:04
Author: wjpyper

Railpower5400 Wrote:
> How about Atlas #65 undertable switch machine's?
>
> Walt
>
> Posted from Android

I use those. They are the best, smallest, and least expensive. I have 8 of them on my layout.
Bill Pyper
Salem, OR

Date: 05/29/17 11:55
Author: NSDTK

Any buildings on the top of the layout that could house the switch machine and only have the throw linkage on the bottom ?

Posted from Android

Date: 05/31/17 10:22
Author: ZbigniewChrysler

"Model Railroader" just had an article on how to mount the switch machine sideways. Was in the last month or two.

Date: 06/01/17 05:38
Author: herronpeter

That's where I saw the sideways mounting!! Thanks............

"of all the things I've lost. I miss my mind the most"

Peter

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0815 seconds