Home Open Account Help 260 users online

Model Railroading > Off-topic, sort of...

Date: 08/13/01 06:27
Off-topic, sort of...
Author: VunderBob

Some of you may recall my laments about my problems with home improvements caused by drunk drivers. Construction on my house is just about done, and I'm now taking advantage of the nearly empty house to catch up on the honeydews, so I can have time to resume work on my layout when we move back in...

I painted the big bedroom this weekend, and put in new moldings. I used plastic instead of wood because of the termite problems we've had. The plastic trim is easier to work with than wood, but I couldn't figure out if I was making a home improvement, or scratchbuilding ;-)

VunderBob

Date: 08/13/01 10:02
RE: Off-topic, sort of...
Author: skunk

I remember that plastic molding that looked like wood! I tore out some partially finished walls in the basement to make room for the new layout. Well, I made the mistake of burning this stuff in my wood burning stove. ohhhhhh! (:0)It's nice that it just me and the cat in this big house. He's the only one that gives me dirty looks when I screw up.

Date: 08/13/01 10:07
Author: stivmac

Ah, the joys of 1'=12" scale modeling! Now you DID get various inner wall inspection ports (tunnels) installed throughout to take care of that termite (RR Expansion) problem? The big bedroom WAS painted a nice, spacious, restful light (sky) blue with nice restful fluffy clouds? Bookshelves (benchwork) was installed in each room at an ergonomically ideal 48-50 inches high? BTW, has his insurance company made good on the three hundred brass locomotives (all factory painted of course) from your prized collection that were twisted beyond recognition? HMMMMM? ;-)

Date: 08/13/01 10:55
Off-topic, definitely...
Author: shortliner

If you really want some dirty looks, and not just from the cat but anyone down-wind - try dropping a fresh toilet roll in the pan (clean of course) whilst changing it, and then trying to dry it out in a microwave! It tends to burn, VERY slowly, from the centre out, and the smell is absolutely indescribeable. Been there, seen it, done it, bought the Tee-shirt!.......

Date: 08/13/01 14:38
Shortliner:
Author: skunk

Did you smoke the plain, colored or charmin toilet paper?

Date: 08/13/01 16:18
Author: JohnSweetser

So you need to weed the honeydew melon patch, huh?

Date: 08/13/01 21:25
Author: stivmac

Only if he wants to plow the honey field!

Date: 08/14/01 18:53
TERMITES
Author: bessemerlakeerie

Had a temite problem at the ol' homestead here. Got the Sentricon bait system installed by one of the local exterminators. No more termites. It's really cool how it works.

Date: 08/15/01 05:59
RE: TERMITES
Author: VunderBob

bessemerlakeerie wrote:
>
> Had a temite problem at the ol' homestead here. Got the
> Sentricon bait system installed by one of the local
> exterminators. No more termites. It's really cool how it works.

I put in the Terminate DIY baits that my local Lowe's carries. Did it mid-summer last year, and changed them as directed 60 days later, which was right before first frost. When I checked the 2nd set this spring, the baits were all unmunched, and I haven't seen any of the little b*stards for quite a while.

I drove Orkin nuts this year, making them drill and spray where all the work was being done to fix the truck damage. They say they're not to treat unless there are live ones present, but it's their 1/2-assed treatment methods that are at the root of my termite problems anyway.

Back towards the topic: the cleaning crew came through yesterday, so construction is officially over, except they still owe us some minor electrical work, and curtain rod installation. Moved more stuff back in last night, so I'm getting closer to reclaiming my layout space. It'll be all of 5 minutes after my garage is cleared that I start working on it again...

VB

Date: 08/15/01 10:52
Skunk
Author: shortliner

It was the perfectly plain, but it sure didn't smell ordinary! Must try the other varieties sometime when I want to upset the neighbourhood |:^B

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0327 seconds