Home Open Account Help 349 users online

Model Railroading > Lok Pilot V4.0 decoder information

Date: 07/17/17 11:00
Lok Pilot V4.0 decoder information
Author: fbe

I will receive my ESU 54615 Lok Pilot V4.0 DCC decoders for my Scale Trains SD40-2 units this afternoon. ESU says to match the settings in the sound equipped ST locos I need to download and install a 97636 file.

I have the ESU Lok Programmer coming with the decoders and it has upgraded software to work with Windows 10.

This is all new to me, can anyone offer suggestions and tips to get me up and running?

Thanks.

Date: 07/17/17 11:21
Re: Lok Pilot V4.0 decoder information
Author: rschonfelder

I won't yet but please share the outcome of your learnings.

Thanks,
Rick

Date: 07/17/17 11:41
Author: brfriedm

Join this Loksound group. They have all the answers. ESU folks are even active in the group. One note, have a thick skin as they are a tough bunch!

Bruce

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/loksound/info

Date: 07/17/17 16:51

Rick,

Learned so far

1. The dynamic brake hatch is removable. Lift it and you will find a dummy plug where the decoder plugs in. Five minute install.

2. NO instructions come with the decoder or programmer. Go to the provided website and download the latest files to your computer.

3. Joined ESU Yahoo Group, if they will have me

4. The decoder installed into a locomotive will respond to address #3 for throttle, direction and headlights

5. I cannot change the loco address with either the Digitrax Zephyr nor a 402 throttle. A Lok programmer seems necessary.

5a. The Scale Trains manual say address changes can be made with any 'normal' DCC system though i cannot get 3 moved to a 4 digit number via my Digitrax DT 402 throttle. Since I do not have the 97636 file installed that could be a problem. I can see the address getting written to the decoder though the address 3 remains. Perhaps I will need to go to the old long address 3 step process.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/17 10:29 by fbe.

Date: 07/20/17 10:26
Author: GRNDMND

I had to do the same thing on a V4.0 decoder. I was trying to match all of the settings/mapping on a IM Paducah which are factory equipped with Select decoders, which is what I should have purchased to begin with. The end result was I did get all of the settings/mapping to match the factory equipped files, but it took a lot of back and forth to make sure they were exact, or they would not match the factory files. Learned a lot, but in the process I've become a big fan of the ESU product line.
Are the ST SD40-2's equipped with a Select decoder or a V4.0 decoder from the factory?

Kevin

Date: 07/20/17 10:35

All the ST sound decoders are V 4.0. Their recommended non-sound decoder is an ESU 54615 Lok Pilot V 4.0.

The non-sound ESU 53614 Lok Pilot Select will control the movement and headlights but I do not know if any of the other lighting functions can be remapped or programmed.

Date: 07/20/17 18:43

Intermountain trains gives us information about changing addresses on V4.0 decoders using Digitrax handheld DT throttles. There are a couple of extra steps for long addresses.

http://www.intermountain-railway.com/customerservice/dccwebpage/Program-Track-ESU-LS-Select-Sound-with-Digitrax-DT-throttle.pdf

This would change the address of the Scale Trains sound units without the need of acquiring a Lok Programmer if you are happy with all the ST CV settings.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/17 02:04 by fbe.

Date: 07/21/17 02:00

I tried the Intermountain Digitrax solution I linked in the previous post. Both units now have proper 4 digit addresses. Only one will light the headlights, the other stays dark. I hope I did not smoke any circuits.

The Lok programmer will be up and running tomorrow so perhaps I can check the headlights out when I am programming all the other features I need. I printed a lot of ESU manuals for decoders and did not see reference to long hood forward operation for Southern practice. The latest software drivers for the Lok programmer downloaded, unzipped and installed without a hitch but I have not tried the USB cable connection to see if the promised drivers(?) from Windows or ESU got installed.

UPDATE: I reset the dark decoder with CV8=8 with my Digitrax 402 and the light came up with address 3. Then i reprogrammed the address using the Intermountain instructions and the head lights work like they should.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/17 09:54 by fbe.

Date: 07/21/17 08:07
Author: grandeguy

Alan,

What about using your Sprog 2/JMRI to program the address? I used my Sprog/JMRI to program the addresses on my 2 Scaletrains SD40-2s worked like a champ.

Regards, Dave Dane

Date: 07/21/17 12:04

Dave,

Good idea though i did not try that idea yet. I just got the Win 10 software for the SPROG and will do that upgrade with the Lok programmer install. I have a pair ofbTsunami2 boards in Proto GP35 models so those should be fine models to learn with. The Tsunami2 decoders have quite a number of features making them more like a Lok Sound V4.0 than an earlier Tsunami.

Alan

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0604 seconds