Home Open Account Help 305 users online

Model Railroading > Athearn Union Pacific GREEN work train cars and/or stock numbers?

Date: 07/23/17 14:23
Athearn Union Pacific GREEN work train cars and/or stock numbers?
Author: railwaybaron

I am looking for Athearn Ready-to-Roll Union Pacific GREEN work train cars with the molded GREEN trucks. I really just want the trucks, not the cars, but I will take what I can get. The green trucks are not stocked at Athearn they told me. It would also be a help if some TO could just give me the stock numbers for the cars that came with green trucks. Can any TO help me? Thanks in advance!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/17 14:25 by railwaybaron.

Date: 07/23/17 16:23
Re: Athearn Union Pacific GREEN work train cars and/or stock numb
Author: boejoe

Over the years I have painted many side frames for trucks to properly go with their rolling stock: boxcar red, silver, gray, etc. Sounds like it might be a real cost savings to paint the trucks you need in green vs. buy the whole car.

Date: 07/23/17 16:47

I tried painting Athearn trucks UP work train green, and originally so did Athearn back around 2001. But the paint won't stick too well. So Athearn started molding the side frames for the color needed, if not black. I am more of a collector than a modeler. So keeping a car all Athearn is fun for me. Thanks!

Date: 07/23/17 20:56
Author: PHall

railwaybaron Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I tried painting Athearn trucks UP work train
> green, and originally so did Athearn back around
> 2001. But the paint won't stick too well. So
> Athearn started molding the side frames for the
> color needed, if not black. I am more of a
> collector than a modeler. So keeping a car all
> Athearn is fun for me. Thanks!

Media blast the truck sideframes. This will roughen up the material so it will hold paint.

Date: 07/23/17 22:33
Author: ESPEE5318

1.I doubt Athearn parts dept stocks trucks in UP MOW green
2. Parts molded in colors look like shit, that goes way beyond trucks
3. Paint will stick if you blast them with baking soda etc prior to paint same goes for other parts made from slippery delrin type plastics

Date: 07/23/17 23:43

Blast them using what?

Date: 07/24/17 11:12
Author: TT

If you decide you want to paint trucks and don't have a grit blaster, try using Duplicolor Adhesion Promoter before painting.

https://duplicolor.com/product/adhesion-promoter

You may be able to find it at your local auto parts store.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/17 11:13 by TT.

Date: 07/24/17 15:44
Author: binder001

By the way, the green trucks are "pretty" and DO fit a certain era, but a number of UP MoW came in green paint and aluminum trucks. I agree with the other posters, it's cheaper and easier to paint the trucks. I have painted quite a few trucks over the years and have only had problems with a few. Wash the trucks, paint carefully, then reassemble the wheels carefully. In other words, gentle handling can allow you to spray or hand paint trucks. Unless you want a "shop fresh" MoW train, the trucks, whether green, aluminum, or whatever, are usually weathered, dirty and rusty before very long.

Gary B. Waverly, NE

Date: 07/25/17 00:18

Thanks to everyone for their ideas, but in the end it may be cheaper I think to buy-up the cars with green trucks as they show up than buy an entire airbrush rig just to have green trucks which may not match in hue. Thanks again!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0452 seconds