Home Open Account Help 296 users online

Model Railroading > Atlas Dash8-40C help

Date: 07/27/17 09:14
Atlas Dash8-40C help
Author: hartrick24

This is a strange question for much needed help. About a year ago I bought the loco at a train show. I'm just getting around to adding a decoder to the loco. After removing all of the screws and removing the shell the weights fell out.The weights are broken in half. I called Atlas, he suggested getting weights for a sound unit and see if they would fit. Does anyone think they would fit before I buy them. Last question does anyone have a scrap 8-40C loco that would want to sell the weights. This is H.O scale. TIA.

Steve Hartrick

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/17 10:11 by hartrick24.

Date: 07/27/17 09:30
Re: Atlas Dash8-40C help
Author: fbe

So why not restore the original weights? If you need more room for a decoder and speakers a hack saw and Dremel tool can provide that. Use a cell phone speaker and sound box assembly from ESU or Soundtraxx for nice sound in a very small space and go with a 1 amp N scale decoder.

Date: 07/28/17 04:41
Author: RGDave

I've had several of these weights disintegrate, cheap pot-metal castings that are more fragile than they should be. Not Atlas's finest choice.

In my experience the weights will fit, although they require some changes in the routes of the wires. The frames on my sound vs. non-sound C40-8's are the same.

~RGDave

Date: 07/28/17 13:31
Author: PeaBock619

I'm actually looking for a weight too, the front one that is

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0503 seconds