Home Open Account Help 256 users online

Model Railroading > Preferred Shake-Can Gloss Coat

Date: 09/13/17 07:50
Preferred Shake-Can Gloss Coat
Author: PatternOfFailure

I know that most modelers strive for an in-service, weathered look for locomotives but what about those occasional times when a unit right out of the paint shop makes an appearance? A unit so fresh that even out-of-the-box doesn't do its gloss justice? A so-clean-you-could-eat-off-of-it look. Santa Fe's SD75Ms seemed to carry that shiny look for a few months in service when they made their debut and I'd like to replicate that.

Do you have any preferred shake-can glosscoat sprays to give you power that ultra-fresh feeling?

Date: 09/13/17 10:34
Re: Preferred Shake-Can Gloss Coat
Author: obsessedfoamer

I would do a satin finish, mix some gloss with dullcoat. Use the airbrush!!. Straight gloss can be too "wet" looking.

Date: 09/13/17 11:12
Author: Jimmies

I guess I reject your basic premise of having a model of a shiny new engine, but to answer your question, from a shake can as you mentioned, I'd probably use Testors. Just to build on what obsessedfoamer had to say, I'd have a concern about glare in photographs with a high gloss finish.

Jim

Date: 09/13/17 13:06
Author: emd_mrs1

I would reserve gloss coatings for model automobiles which have metallic finishes, clear coats or waxed surfaces. I would go for satin/neutral clear coats for all rail equipment if its new or freshly repainted. There may be rare exception for passenger cars, but very limited use of gloss.

Even for new equipment I usually put a light spray of dullcote on the roof and horizontal surfaces because they are quickly effected by the weather and dust/dirt/oil/rain/etc. Depending on the environment and equipment type, the trucks and underbody may need a touch of appropriately colored dust to reflect use. It doesn't have to be much.

Michael

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/17 13:13 by emd_mrs1.

Date: 09/13/17 18:47
Author: alamedafrank

I use Floquil Hi Gloss on most of my O Scale passenger cars that I buy on EBAY. 20 or 30 year old cars can really dull down and after touching up the paint it really pulls it together. This refers only to the sides, I do not gloss the roofs [which quite often look and are actually dirty] or undercarrage. After all, what are wash racks for, and why do you think they called passenger trains VARNISH!

Date: 09/13/17 21:30
Author: wabash2800

Hi gloss on model trains often looks syrupy. I would perhaps try the Johnson wax technique.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Date: 09/16/17 01:11
Author: Hookdragkick

For the effect you speak of, look into Tamiya clear. It comes in a small rattle can.
Which ever gloss you go with, do a light "tack" coat first, let dry; repeat with a slightly wetter coat, let it flash off before 2nd wet coat. I've waited around 10min between on aerosols. The amount of wet coats will ultimately depend on you, but I keep it down to a few as you don't want it looking heavy. Tamiya also has polishing compounds you can hit the clear with after its good and cured.

NS 8041 (C30-7) is a prime example of fresh out the booth!

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/17 01:38 by Hookdragkick.

Date: 09/16/17 19:45
Author: JUTower

I used Testors GlossCote on a newer engine, along with a dusting of DullCote on the roof (similar to earlier posts on this thread) - worked quite well.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.035 seconds