Home Open Account Help 319 users online

Model Railroading > Bowser Baldwins

Date: 09/13/17 18:33
Bowser Baldwins
Author: fbe

I got my AS-616 MILW roadswitchers today. They look nice and the ESU sound decoder has a nice rich sound. I was able to change the address with my Digitrax system but when I did that the default went from long hood forward to short hood forward. The default Baldwin diesel horn sounds a lot like a steam whistle though lots of options are offerred.

The MILW 560 and 561 units on the MILW were built as the cab units of a cow calf pair. They had the short hood headlight mounted slightly higher than the headlight on the long bood end as well as the later order of AS-616 units. The units all had twin lights in both ends which might be possible to replicate with DA parts behind the light glass.

They were worth the wait.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/17 19:07 by fbe.

Date: 09/13/17 19:09
Re: Bowser Baldwins
Author: WrongWayMurphy

If you don't plan on running this engine on D.C. ( recommend you don't), change CV 29 to a value of 54, if
that doesn't change direction, change the value to 55. 54 is forward and 55 is reverse, but if you are already
in reverse, then 55( reverse) might change to forward ( two wrongs make a right?).

Date: 09/13/17 19:21

Thanks for the CV info. I was surprised when changing the loco address from default 3 to 560 and 561 would somehow change the normal direction of travel as well.

Date: 09/13/17 20:43
Author: emd_mrs1

If the horn sounds like a whistle its probably the Hancock 4700 for the MNS units. MILW appears to have used the Leslie A200. Its an easy change with one CV value change

Michael

Date: 09/13/17 21:37

I am just going with what is coming from the factory. I suppose it is possible someone put the Hancock code from the MN&S units into a MILW loco since both are in production at the same time.

Thanks for identifying the proper MILW horn choice for me.

Date: 09/14/17 07:36
Author: CPR_4000

Didn't MILW run their Baldwins short hood front?

Date: 09/14/17 08:05

The first AS-616 units were the cow calf sets used in transfer and helper service. Photos of the 560 and 561 clearly show an F painted on the frame on the long hood end. The cabless units were rebuilt with cabs and became 562 and 563. I have not seen photos of them to tell if they were short hood or long hood units. The last 4 units purchased which had the large number boards on the corners came short hood forward from Baldwin.

Given Bowser has chosen to model units with small number boards in MILW paint these models need to be long hood forward. Bowser's last run of MILW AS-616 units had the large numberboards so would be short hood leading.

So for the MILW, long hood Baldwins it is yes and no.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/17 08:34 by fbe.

Date: 09/21/17 10:04

The models got almost an hour of layout time yesterday running mu with 50 or so cars of train. They smoothed right out and pull well. The sound is really nice though it was turned down quite a bit.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0508 seconds