Home Open Account Help 368 users online

Model Railroading > Georgia Road creates Rio Pacifico de Mexico

Date: 09/19/17 23:58
Georgia Road creates Rio Pacifico de Mexico
Author: georgiaroad

Working with several prototype freelance modelers helped me add an interesting new dimension to Georgia Road operations. My modeling is based loosely on the KCS and NS style and practice. Just as KCS gained access to Mexican markets with its part of TFM, so Georgia Road did the same. At one time the idea of was to use the Ferromex as that connection and run through intermodals and manifests through the layout under the MexXpress Service. While working on a modern "what if" Southern Pacific concept due to a request, I began toying with the idea of taking the Mexican connection in a different direction. By creating a freelance version, I could maintain current railroads as they are for the most parts. I try not to run head long into history and modern operation, but copy and try to live in a round about peace with the prototype surroundings.

Rio Pacifico de Mexico is the final result of several months of ruminating and discarding ideas. I read where the Mexican people love color, and that could explain the somewhat flashy look of real Mexican railroad schemes. With privatization, some of this has been muted in the world of multi-million dollar locomotives and a push for the bottom line, exampled by Ferromex and its new gray, white and red. I figured the Rio Pacifico would be similar in this modern age. The green is the same as the darker FXE green, with a MP like Buzz saw logo that says Rio Pacific Lines on one side of the cab and Rio Pacifico Lineas on the other . Think CN boxcars from the 1980s and 1990s here with their French spelling on one side and English on the other. Reporting marks for the railroad are RIO and TXE (for the US side of the border, a paper railroad called the Texas Eastern following loosely what is the South Orient line which exists solely to cross the border and deliver trains to middle Texas and Georgia Road lines east of the Mississippi. The roster is full of newer EMD and GE power for these NAFTA trains, added in older second and first generation units out of the old NdeM roster. The primary freight is auto parts going to US assembly plants, finished compact cars headed from Mexican assembly lines to dealers, produce and cement. The rest is manufactured goods and intermodal. I created artwork for Transportes Americanos for both reefer and dry van service. Honda, Ford and GM both use these logistics companies to move parts from Tier 3 producers to sub assembly and assembly lines in the Southeast and Rust belt automotive plants.

The choice of intermodal equipment is notable also. During the recession of 2008-2009 and the downturn that followed, many a pulpwood rack, lumber bulkhead flat and general purpose C channel intermodal flats were surplus. Rather than cut these up, many were converted for intermodal services as single level intermodal flats. They were cheap and available so they were used along with cut down 45 and 48ft well cars. Since the MexXpress Service is pretty much point A out of Mexico to paint B in the US, these cars are captive pool (most other open pools would find them too limited in cube capacity and tare weight.) They work well in medium sized intermodals crossing the border, and the extra weight allows them to freely mix in manifests also. Many are likely one step from the scrapping torch, but for now the ROI is worthy of conversion and continued service, if only in captive runs or specific interchange routes.

Although I post many more drawings than models, these are the first steps. I have decals drawn up for the RIO and for the TA trailers and containers. It is only a matter of time and inclination. I could sure use a little of both these days.

H in AL

Date: 09/20/17 00:48
Re: Georgia Road creates Rio Pacifico de Mexico
Author: railwaybaron

Yes indeed, most Mexicans I know like color, but there is no Rio Pacfico that I could find in Mexico, i.e. Peaceful River. However there is a tech company in Peru with the name Rio Pacifico and maybe there's a river in Peru with that name to go with it. I'd like to suggest the name "F.C. Rio Bravo de Mexico" (reporting marks RBDM), the Mexican name for what we call Rio Grande that currently which divides both countries. I think it would have more zip and would be geographically correct. Of course, it is your railroad so you can call it anything you want.:)

Date: 09/20/17 00:50
Author: shortliner

I just love the logic and thought that goes into your designs, and the work that goes into your liveries - I only run Short-lines - you do International Empires!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/17 00:57 by shortliner.

Date: 09/20/17 06:50
Author: SantaFeRuss

Georgiaroad, I like the "Rio Pacifico de Mexico". Nice work. Now if you could make your Georgia Road and Rio Pacifico de Mexico rolling stock available in HO, I would be interested in a few freight cars. I'm sure others would be interested as well.

SantaFeRuss

Date: 09/20/17 07:44
Author: navarch2

There seems to be no end to your abilities where imagineering is concerned. Your artistic work is first rate as well. My sincerest compliments to you.

Bob

Date: 09/20/17 15:32
Author: EspeeGoldenState

Something just looks lacking. I almost wonder what the red/white stripes on the end of the unit would look like.

Otherwise. Great name, and look for the Mexican side, but I could be bias in being a huge fan of the DRGW/SP speed lettering too.

Chris

Date: 09/20/17 17:58
Author: PHall

The national colors of Mexico are Red, White and Green and they're very proud of them too!

Date: 09/20/17 22:31
Author: Hookdragkick

Chingon!

Posted from Android

Date: 09/26/17 09:26
Author: antlorch

The Georgia Road is available through Highball Graphics right now, I am sure the Rio Pacifico will follow real soon.

SantaFeRuss Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Georgiaroad, I like the "Rio Pacifico de Mexico".
> Nice work. Now if you could make your Georgia Road
> and Rio Pacifico de Mexico rolling stock available
> in HO, I would be interested in a few freight
> cars. I'm sure others would be interested as
> well.
>
> SantaFeRuss

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0664 seconds