Home Open Account Help 286 users online

Model Railroading > Do you collect them?

Date: 09/20/17 07:17
Do you collect them?
Author: lizzard45

Just wondering if there's anyone else out there who collects the Athearn anniversary items.
I also have the Irvin Athearn memorial hopper.

Date: 09/20/17 07:53
Re: Do you collect them?
Author: cabman

I never knew there were so many items. Things have really changed for the better at Athearn. Oh yes, Irv Athearn is to be commended for putting H.O. railroading in so many homes, but today we have "realroading" instead.

Date: 09/20/17 08:01
Author: BAB

For what was for sale back then there was little else one could buy and assemble. Don't know where Globe came in if he started it or bought it out but had some of them I bought new. Back then just liked trains never thought much about road names or car types they were just fun to have. Now its much different but even way back there were very detailed plastic kits. One was in a clear envelope with plastic grabs and all else was the same also was pre painted seems they were reefers and box cars with no trucks I think. Gee it was only 65 years ago.

Date: 09/20/17 09:19

SPDRGWfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have too many trains focused on modeling real
> D&RGW trains so I don't have any funds or room
> left over for superfluous company branded models.
>
> Cheers, Jim

Understood...but they are fun...And they inspire you to do creative stuff.

Date: 09/20/17 09:33
Author: SPDRGWfan

Creative is good. Maybe some day but for now I'm into modeling late 1970's D&RGW and that is a tall enough order for me. Different strokes.

Cheers, Jim

Date: 09/20/17 09:34
Author: NSTopHat

I have the ACF 4 Bay Covered hopper that they did in yellow. Sorry, can't post an image, as it is buried somewhere in storage in the basement.

Russ

Date: 09/20/17 09:54

Russ, do you mean this one? I picked this up at a train show last year, just $6.00.

Date: 09/20/17 10:47
Author: boejoe

I'm not positive but I thought Globe Models was originally based in Chicago. Athearn introduced the 98 cents Globe F-7 A unit dummy about 1954 or 55. It was a sensational buy with all that detail at the time - even though it had a gold finish.

Date: 09/20/17 12:56
Author: calsubd

there was a I/M car also with 2 20 ft containers and a 40 ft'r IIRC

Ed Stewart
Jacksonville, FL

Date: 09/20/17 13:09
Author: NSTopHat

lizzard45 Wrote:
> Russ, do you mean this one? I picked this up at a
> train show last year, just $6.00.

Yes, that is the car I have somewhere in the stockpile in the basement. I bought it when it first came out, but don't remember what the original price tag read.

Regards,
Russ

Date: 09/20/17 14:17
Author: BNModeler

There's a guy on Evilbay been trying to get $159.99 for somewhere around a year now.
Russ, do you mean this one? I picked this up at
a train show last year, just $6.00.

Date: 09/20/17 22:36
Author: train544

Hi
Yes I have bought and collected all of the Athearn engines and cars along with the passenger train set
Tom Boylan

Date: 09/21/17 07:24
Author: BAB

boejoe Wrote:
> I'm not positive but I thought Globe Models was
> originally based in Chicago. Athearn introduced
> the 98 cents Globe F-7 A unit dummy about 1954 or
> 55. It was a sensational buy with all that detail
> at the time - even though it had a gold finish.

I do remember the gold Globe unit all too well as didn't know what to do with it. That was one of my first buys in HO about that year think it got lost after the last move. Sold off about 300 cars and engines. Now have about fifty HO rolling stock of several RRs. Some how they started growing, didn't know I still had the seed planted.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0477 seconds