Home Open Account Help 321 users online

Model Railroading > An O Scale SD40-2 Assigned to Maintenance in the Way Service Only

Date: 09/21/17 08:43
An O Scale SD40-2 Assigned to Maintenance in the Way Service Only
Author: Larry020

I don't know the reason why, but the tag on top of the engine reads "Track Cleaning Train Only."

http://www.gsmrm.org

ʎɹɹɐl

Date: 09/21/17 10:05
Re: An O Scale SD40-2 Assigned to Maintenance in the Way Service
Author: boejoe

Would love to see more photos of the O gauge layout.

Date: 09/21/17 10:30

Date: 09/21/17 19:23
Author: pmack

I was confused at first glance because 3571 is the same number Athearn used on their first run of HO SD40-2 when it first came out, P/N 4408. I wonder if it has some significance.

Date: 09/21/17 19:51

Paul

I sorta noticed that too.  I took the picture, posted it, looked at it again in my photo album, then it dawned on me why that number was so familiar.   

Duplicate numbers in different scales from different companies can be from them both seeing the same photograph.

ʎɹɹɐl

Date: 09/22/17 05:58
Author: rnb3

"I was confused at first glance because 3571 is the same number Athearn used... I wonder if it has some significance."

The O scale model pictured is a Weaver product. It has been said that Weaver was O scale's Athearn. Several of the Weaver plastic freight cars offered in the 80s and 90s appear to be scaled up copies of Athearn models. The kits even have the same number of parts! From what I can see, the Weaver 50 ft "Railbox", PS-2 center discharge hopper, PS-2 34 ft covered hopper, 40 ft boxcar, 4 bay covered hopper, and 2 bay coal hopper (PS-3ish)are all nearly exact copies of Athearn models.

The weaver SD40-2 is very similar to the 80s vintage Athearn model. At least the shell is. Of course the chassis is very different and the pilots and end steps are traditional hi-rail style that rotate with the trucks. For O scale 2 rail, the pilots were still separate, but attached to the shell instead of the trucks. There are more differences, but I think it is fair and accurate to associate the two Manufactures' products. I wouldn't bee surprised to find out Athearn helped Weaver somewhere in the design and manufacturing process at one time.

Its good to see O scale 2 rail here on TO Post more anytime!

Rick Bacon
Windsor, CO

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.045 seconds