Home Open Account Help 312 users online

Model Railroading > Spending some weekend time working in the basement.

Date: 10/16/17 12:03
Spending some weekend time working in the basement.
Author: NSTopHat

Saturday I spent some time in the workshop painting, the workshop. I had the builder install the sheetrock and drop ceiling in our new house prior to its completion last summer. While I have been working on the depot entry way, photos of which will be included in this post, I finally got my workshop to the point where I can actually paint, the walls that is. The workshop room itself is 10' x 26', I still have to install the final overhead lighting system as well. The floor is epoxy coated with Behr's epoxy flooring system custom colored as US Navy Light Gull Grey, as a nod to my dad's service in the Navy during Viet Nam.

Image #1 - The last of the trim work has been installed at this point. In the far right corner will be my paint table along with my spray booth. Prior to interior finish-out last summer, I installed a dryer vent for the spray booth's exhaust system. The shelving unit I found at Home Depot,

Image #2 - Again from the opposite end of the room. I am going to be installing a couple of kitchen cabinets, both base units and uppers, along with a one-piece laminated counter top. The counter will be ~9' long coming out from the far left corner and will have under-mounted LED lighting. I had several electrical outlets installed at kitchen counter heights, along with a cable tv outlet in the corner for use along the workspace. There will be a space between the two base cabinets so that will be my knee space for my barstool seat.

Image #3 - From the working end of the room, the room will also house what is the former Southern, now NS, St. Charles Branch, which will horseshoe into the room from the far side of the door opening along the back wall and come down the left wall and will terminate at the Lone Mountain Processing Plant in Benedict, VA, which will be over my spray booth. On the near side of the door opening I will be installing a tall bookshelf from my office at my old house.

One more set to come.

Regards,
Russ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/17 12:32 by NSTopHat.

Date: 10/16/17 12:15
Re: Spending some weekend time working in the basement.

I mentioned in the first part of this post that I am also working on a depot area as the entry to the basement. The depot area is designed to simulate the interior of an N&W freight depot. The NWHS provided paint info as to the color combination, which is a cream upper and light green lower.

Image #4 - Looking back into the depot area from the layout area. The door opening to the left of the RBB Circus sign is a doorway to the mechanical room, the doorway about halfway down the left wall of the closet is a half bath that was mostly finished by the builder. I still have to install baseboard, wainscot and chair rail to match the rest of the depot. The far wall on the right half of the image is where the hall turns left into an open area and then upstairs.

Image #5 - Moving into the open area at the base of the stairs, looking back towards the corner in Image #4. The bump-out in the wall to the left is a storage closet that is under the stairwell.

Image #6 looking back into the open area from the corner between Image #4 & #5. I still have to install the baseboard, wainscot, and chair rail. The markings on the wall are where I install bracing to the wall studs prior to sheet rock, so I can hang a fully functioning N&W tri-color CPL. Once I figure out how to hang that sucker, the wall will get finished and this area will get painted and decorated.

That's all for now. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Russ

Date: 10/16/17 12:34
Author: LittleDoc

Hi Russ, Really nice looking carpentry! You are fortunate to have a basement!! In my neighborhood in Las Vegas we have springs in our back yards. No basement in my future unless we move somewhere.I look forward to periodic project reports! Thanks in advance.

Steve
Henderson NV

Date: 10/16/17 13:11
Author: Bscale316

You were so smart to get a dryer vent installed. I could have done that easily when our house was built
but didn't think of it.
Bill in Ft Worth

Date: 10/16/17 13:42

LittleDoc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Russ, Really nice looking carpentry! You are
> fortunate to have a basement!! In my neighborhood
> in Las Vegas we have springs in our back yards. No
> basement in my future unless we move somewhere.I
> look forward to periodic project reports! Thanks
> in advance.
>
> Steve
> Henderson NV

Steve,

Thanks. When I lived in Texas we didn't have a basement there either because of the highly expansive clay issues, so I feel your pain. I hope now that my son's football season is over and that summer mowing is done as well, I can spend more weekend time cranking through the basement and getting to playing trains.

Regards,
Russ

Date: 10/16/17 13:48

Bscale316 Wrote:
> You were so smart to get a dryer vent installed. I
> could have done that easily when our house was
> built
> but didn't think of it.
> Bill in Ft Worth

Bill:

I installed one after the fact at the old house, as well as this one and it was pretty easy both times. I knew the minimum height from the floor that I wanted the vent to penetrate the wall and got a 4" dia., core drill bit made by Milwaukee Tool, that I bought at the big orange box. The core bit is a two piece assembly and fits in a standard 1/2" chucked drill. The inner piece is a standard drill and then the 4" dia., core mechanically fastens to the inner bit. The inner bit is longer than the 4" core to create a pilot hole. Just make sure you know where the studs are as well as any plumbing and electrical.

Regards,
Russ

Date: 10/16/17 14:01
Author: SPDRGWfan

Where do the trains go!

Where in Texas? Of course flooding is common in the Houston area so I'd think basements are off the menu. What I never got is why they don't do basements in California where the water table is half way to China! I grew up in the Sacramento area and noticed all new construction is on a slab. I think I saw one basement in Sacramento and thats it.

Cheers, Jim

Date: 10/16/17 15:14
Author: rschonfelder

What is the name/formula for the blue (on the walls) that you used?

Rick

Date: 10/16/17 15:41

SPDRGWfan Wrote:
> Where do the trains go!
>
> Where in Texas? Of course flooding is common in
> the Houston area so I'd think basements are off
> the menu. What I never got is why they don't do
> basements in California where the water table is
> half way to China! I grew up in the Sacramento
> area and noticed all new construction is on a
> slab. I think I saw one basement in Sacramento
> and thats it.
>
> Cheers, Jim

Jim,

We used to live in Grapevine, just north of the G'Vine - Euless border.

Regards
Russ

Date: 10/16/17 15:44

Rick, here's the info on the color.

Regards
Russ

Date: 10/16/17 19:50
Author: hartrick24

Looks great Russ, any shots of the train room and it's size.

Steve H...

Date: 10/17/17 03:50

hartrick24 Wrote:
> Looks great Russ, any shots of the train room and
> it's size.
>
> Steve H...

Steve, sorry no images of the rest of the basement, as it is filled with boxes of trains and modeling supplies, just ask Scott. It is about 1,800 sf itself.

Regards,
Russ

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0821 seconds