Home Open Account Help 238 users online

Model Railroading > T6 - another model we could use

Date: 11/19/17 02:19
T6 - another model we could use
Author: briancdn

Anyone still have one of these? This is an old Alco Models brass T6 re-powered with an Athearn chassis and sagami can motor. Installed DCC and lights recently, runs great. The hood width is too wide as was common back in the day to fit old motors.

With N&W and PRR rostering these engines, along with numerous shortlines getting them 2nd hand; a good plastic model might be worthwhile for some manufacturer.

One of my favourite locomotives; with the distinctive notched long hood. Having seem them lug heavy cuts on the NW, I always wanted a model of one.

One day I'll even replace that missing stanchion.

Brian N.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/17 02:21 by briancdn.

Date: 11/19/17 06:49
Re: T6 - another model we could use
Author: icancmp193

Although it has nothing to do with any railroad I model, I've always liked the looks of the T-6. The Penn-Central often had one in the yard at Phllipsburg, NJ in the early 70's.

TJY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/17 08:55 by icancmp193.

Date: 11/19/17 08:34
Author: holiwood

There are 2 at the Virginia Museum of Transportation. One is Chesapeake Western 10
and Historical Society has one there that is operational

Date: 11/19/17 13:39
Author: 1019X

I recall seeing that someone produced what I believe was a cast resin shell for a T-6.

Date: 11/19/17 18:20
Author: nwsd45

holiwood Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There are 2 at the Virginia Museum of
> Transportation. One is Chesapeake Western 10
> and Historical Society has one there that is
> operational

The Chesapeake Western actually used three T-6's. No. 10 as lettered in the museum, No. 11 (currently lettered as N&W no. 41) and no. 42. Even though they were painted for the CW, the 10 and 11 were originally N&W 40 and 41, respectively, if I recall correctly. No. 42 always wore the N&W markings and was never repainted or lettered for CW.

After being damaged during a flood in Nov. 1985, all units were sent to Roanoke for an uncertain future. Fortunately, no. 10 and 41 (11) were saved.

I would like to see a model of these produced as well. Would make great coal mine or feed mill switchers.

Mike

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/17 18:21 by nwsd45.

Date: 11/19/17 19:35
Author: bnsfsd70

Oh, man. I had the pleasure of photographing and shooting video of one of the Arkansas & Missouri's T6's a few years ago. That thing had the most incredible sound to it. Ahh, so good!

You can see it here: https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,3561217,3562124#msg-3562124

- Jeff Carlson

Date: 11/19/17 19:39
Author: holiwood

I used to see them when I was going to JMU, CW track runs through campus
I would like some T6 models and they would be close to Alco switchers
Winchester & Western used to have

hollywood
NS B Line MP 74

Date: 11/20/17 14:30
Author: briancdn

> I would like some T6 models and they would be
> close to Alco switchers
> Winchester & Western used to have

I'm pretty sure the Winchester & Western Alco switchers were ex SP S-6's, with end rads, very different to a T6.

Brian .

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0497 seconds