Home Open Account Help 232 users online

Model Railroading > rock slide fence dimensions

Date: 11/19/17 16:23
rock slide fence dimensions
Author: u34ch

i would like to install a rock slide fence for my ho layout. what should the height be and distance be between posts? If U could give the answer in center meters it would be helpful. thanks

Date: 11/19/17 16:27
Re: rock slide fence dimensions
Author: fbe

The height depends upon the location. Some are about 5' high while some are taller than the train. Each railroad sets their own standards.

Date: 11/19/17 18:38
Author: ESPEE5318

Build what looks right to you............guesstimate based off of pictures and things you can reference for size in the picture......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/17 18:41 by ESPEE5318.

Date: 11/19/17 19:49
Author: atsf5701

Seems like I have seen these fences in photos of WP and BN locations. Might want to check some of those railfan railroad books for reference.

EDIT: Google "rock slide warning fence burlington northern", go to search images, and I found several photos from various railroads. No two designs are alike so as per the previous recommendation, design your own that looks reasonable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/17 19:52 by atsf5701.

Date: 11/19/17 20:23
Author: rschonfelder

There is no manufacturer of slide fences AFAIK. They are pretty much home built as far as the fence goes. (The electronics to trip the signal in the event of a slide is not included in this statement.) You will be best to look at your prototype but I've seen old rail sunk into the ground vertical with wires running lengthwise. Good luck drilling out these holes in your pieces of nickel silver rail. You can use some "C" channel or "I" beam from evergreen as it is conceivable that the fence was built using "C" channel or "I" beam.

Another is to use wood posts like would be used for telephone poles. This certainly us true for older scenes <1970ies.

Slide fences are built to the specific location so you need to assess the plausibility of your fence relative the drop/slope angle of your scenery where you need the fence. I say this because you really do not need to know how high anyone makes them irrespective of "Center meters" ( correct is centimeters ) or inches.

Note that a steep cliff will have a fence that goes up vertical and then will angle out over the track. Study photos is the best advice.

Rick

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0285 seconds