Home Open Account Help 234 users online

Model Railroading > ScaleTrains 4566CF Airslide enters buffer service

Date: 11/20/17 00:00
ScaleTrains 4566CF Airslide enters buffer service
Author: MrMRL

Just some light weathering with Testors paint pens (Roof Brown, Rail Brown, Rust). Little extra love with the paint pens on the trucks. Next a smattering of thinned Burnt Umber acrylic wash below the skirts. Dullcote to even things out a bit. Makes for a nice bit of variety next to the noticeably shorter Tangent 4180CF Airslide second out.

Test train with a long line of DPRX oil tanks (also from ScaleTrains) at the HO Scale California Southern Model Railroad Club in Norwalk, CA.

Mr. MRL

Date: 11/20/17 08:18
Re: ScaleTrains 4566CF Airslide enters buffer service
Author: tgcostello

Nice work Robby!
TC

Date: 11/20/17 15:47
Author: Hookdragkick

Pretty cool! Empties tanks headed back for loading?

FXE power has picked up lately too.

Posted from Android

Date: 11/21/17 11:56
Author: TCnR

A friends recent video shows 4 buffer cars on a BNSF train with a 2+1 power set. Apparently two empties strung together. Should be good for Tangent's sales.

Date: 11/21/17 16:39
Author: MrMRL

TCnR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A friends recent video shows 4 buffer cars on a
> BNSF train with a 2+1 power set. Apparently two
> empties strung together. Should be good for
> Tangent's sales.

Yeah, most of the time these tank trains run closer to 100 cars in length with a pair of diesel units up front and as many as two more units (DPU) on the back end. The BNSF likes to have at least one buffer car between the flammables and the power. So typically a pair of buffers (if available) on either end of the string of tank cars to protect the head and rear end power sets. My train is obviously not 100 cars, so I run it with just head end power, and a pair of buffers behind the diesels is sufficient.

Good times for Tangent and ScaleTrains with their modernized Airslide hoppers, and for Athearn with their re-purposed 4700CF three bay hoppers in the RTR line as well.

Mr. MRL

Date: 11/21/17 17:57
Author: TCnR

Sorry, I should have said two in the middle of the train, four buffer cars total, 2+1 power. I didn't count the cars but it was pretty good sized. Said to be 'Sully Springs' North Dakota.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.027 seconds