Home Open Account Help 378 users online

Model Railroading > Found this pic of wood lining being installed in a new boxcar...

Date: 11/20/17 08:23
Found this pic of wood lining being installed in a new boxcar...
Author: funnelfan

but I can't figure out the builder of this car. I only found one photo of a nearly identical car leased to CP rail as CPAA 207370. But still not sure of the builder.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 11/20/17 08:35
Re: Found this pic of wood lining being installed in a new boxcar
Author: wingomann

Sure is thick looking material. I worked on the restoration of a SP B-50-15 outside braced boxcar and it had 2 1/2 inch thick boards for flooring and 2 x 4 siding. The boxcar in the picture looks like it would have a steel floor so the boards must be for interior siding. Seems like way too thick for that though.
Looking closer at the picture they look like glue spliced boards. You can see the splice joints in the picture. That makes it even weirder.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/17 09:38 by wingomann.

Date: 11/20/17 08:37
Author: fbe

I am not sure the boards are lining. For steel cars, plywood was the common lining.

Date: 11/20/17 10:34
Author: Skuat

Looks like a Pennsy X58 to me, in which case the picture would be from inside the PRR's Sam Rae car shops in Hollidaysburg, PA.

Scooter

Date: 11/20/17 12:24
Author: funnelfan

The details do seem to match the Pennsy X58 boxcars. On close inspection there appears to be moveable bulkhead tracks along the inside of each wall and a space between that will be fitted with a wood floor.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0499 seconds