Home Open Account Help 273 users online

Model Railroading > N-scale flower beds

Date: 12/07/17 07:26
N-scale flower beds
Author: caylorman

I'm planning on putting in a flower bed for one of my office buildings on an N-scale t-trak module, and I was wondering what techniques others have used to do something similar on their N-scale layouts. I've looked at some of the products from Scenic Express, but most of the pre-made flowering plants I've seen are 1/8", which comes out to a scale 20" tall. My thought is to used some of the 2mm tufts dusted with some of brightly colored foam. Just curious on techniques used by others.

Thanks,
E.J.

Date: 12/12/17 19:22
Re: N-scale flower beds
Author: AZSP

I find with n scale it is all about texture and color. There are some exceptional scenery products from Scenic Express, Noch, Woodland Scenics and others. A combination of tufts, foliage foam and earth textures. Start with a “soil” texture, add tufts and a pinch of foliage. You can find a variety of colors to represent flowers. Use white glue on the large items and spray matte medium on everything else.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 12/15/17 07:04
Re: N-scale flower beds
Author: caylorman

Ended up using some small chunks of WS underbrush, soaked in matte medium and then dipped in some colored ground foam. In my opinion, they actually came out pretty nice. The bed was a mound of WS soil ground foam and some medium buff colored ballast positioned individually with a pair of tweezers and a jeweler's screwdriver.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/17 07:05 by caylorman.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0303 seconds