Home Open Account Help 344 users online

Model Railroading > Athearn SDP40F - 40 Year Wait for Me

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 12/07/17 09:48
Athearn SDP40F - 40 Year Wait for Me
Author: alto_towerbob

The thread below on the wait times for future SDP40F releases got me thinking... I fell in love with that engine as a teenager (age 14) when my brother and I first got into model trains. I quickly found out there was no HO scale version of it, unless one could afford the Gem brass release.

Like probably everyone else I purchased the stand-in 'foobie' Athearn FP45 at the time - painted the Flexicoil silver truck sideframes black and didn't attach the front handrails. I used Microscale decals to change road number "503" to "508" on a dummy so I could have a pair with different numbers. It was 'OK' but like many, I always hoped an accurate SDP40F would happen...

Along the way there were articles in various mags about how to kit-bash one correctly; Kaslo had some shells out there and one point -- and the Gem brass version with all its flaws was always an option... Through the years I remained hopeful but realistic, doubtful that we'd ever see a high-quality plastic version, let alone the various phases and paint scheme. At almost age 54 it has become reality.

My 40-year wait was rewarded --- so 'thank-you' Athearn!! I hope they sell well. I have three more on order from the second run and if they ever do the final Phase III paint scheme I'll get that too.

(next on my wish list are California Cars to run with my Surfliner and CDTX F59PHI units -- I won't make it if it takes another 40 years!!!)

Bob

Date: 12/07/17 10:15
Re: Athearn SDP40F - 40 Year Wait for Me
Author: emd_mrs1

I bought the Gem version. It is in the running for worst brass engine ever. I think I paid the astronomical sum of $99 for it - or my parents did.

http://hotraincollector.com/gem-models-sdp40f-diesel/

The driveline had large rubber "claws" that connected to each other instead of ball-and-socket joints. It worked okay going straight but would bind up in the slightest curve and stop.

The shell had decent proportions overall but the curves for the roof and nose were way off. The fans were a circle of brass with a circular pattern stamped or etched into them.

The athearn FP45 was light years ahead of the Gem model, even if it was a stand in. It would run.

Thankfully we now have an outstanding one. Next, a quality P30CH I hope.

Michael

Date: 12/07/17 10:42
Author: tracktime

Hear Hear!! The Genesis SDP40F was well worth the wait.. An excellent model in all respects.

I never expected the wait to be quite this long, but hey.. better now than never! =)

I too look forward to the next run for the early SDP40Fs, specifically the ones in Phase II "cigar band" striping for my 1977-80 Coast Starlight, as well as icicle-breaker equipped SDP40Fs hopefully eventually for the San Francisco Zephyr and other trains.

Cheers,
Harry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/17 18:45 by tracktime.

Date: 12/07/17 11:19
Author: SPDRGWfan

Looks like it's going to be a 42 or 43 year wait for me since there is no announcement yet for the icicle breaker equipped San Francisco Zephyr version.

My story is similar to Bobs. I road the San Francisco Zephyr at 16 years of age from Iowa to Sacramento CA, and later from Sacramento to Denver. I've wanted a pair of them every since. I was excited when Athearn finally officially announced them.

Since I want the San Francisco Zephyr version, and in 3 announcement so far, it is not included, I guess I'm the epitome of "good things come to those who wait, and wait, and wait" Hopefully they will produce the SFZ version with the ice breakers before the decade is out! I'm used to it however, more often than not when a model is announced, the version I wish for is at the end of the queue! LOL

Cheers, Jim Fitch

Date: 12/07/17 14:09
Author: Trainboss

Make your own cicle breakers. It's not that difficult.

Posted from Android

Date: 12/07/17 17:27

Trainboss Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Make your own cicle breakers. It's not that
> difficult.

1) For the price, they should have them, thanks.

2) I've got a boat load of other projects ahead of that so by the time those are done, likely Athearn will be offering version I am seeking.

Cheers, Jim Fitch

Date: 12/07/17 18:34
Author: nikon1

Athearn will eventually release the model but for the cost, I'll pay the price for a pair of Overland Models (my passenger cars are brass)so I can eventually model trains 15/16 the Lone Star. Many memories of riding that train between Topeka and Chicago.
Cheers
Charlie
MP 52.8 on the BNSF Topeka Sub

Date: 12/07/17 19:07
Author: Betsy

SPDRGWfan Wrote:
> Trainboss Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Make your own cicle breakers. It's not that
> > difficult.
>
> 1) For the price, they should have them, thanks.
>

I gotta say, comments like this bother me. Athearn produced an accurate model of the SDP40F, without icicle breakers. Seriously, they made accurate models of prototypes that didn't have icicle breakers - I'm not aware that any of the four numbers in the current release were ever equipped with icicle breakers - and you appear to be claiming that Athearn should have put them on just because of their price? Yes the SDP40Fs assigned to the San Francisco Zephyr were eventually equipped with icicle breakers, and Keith has indicated here that Athearn fully intends to release those versions. What is the problem here? Is life demonstrably diminished because that is a year or two out, when, as stated, we've all waited 40 years for a decent model? How much much less could Athearn have charged such that the claim "they should have had them" because of the current price would no longer be valid?

Elizabeth

BTW, I suspect the folding icicle breakers used on the front of the SDP40Fs would actually be a bit of a PIA to make...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/17 19:09 by Betsy.

Date: 12/07/17 20:55
Author: tmurray

This model, to me, is incredible. Added a decoder, speaker, Kadees, and some "dirt."
It runs well, and looks incredible. I'm really happy with it, and hope it proves to all manufacturers that well done, accurate models nearly unique to Amtrak, can and do sell (hopefully the Walthers reps see that comment).

Thank you to the crew at Athearn.
EDIT: May Rapido have the phase II/III F40's in their not-too-distant production future.

-Tom

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/17 20:57 by tmurray.

Date: 12/07/17 21:57
Author: ghemr

tmurray Wrote:
> This model, to me, is incredible. Added a decoder,
> speaker, Kadees, and some "dirt."

I think your weathering is incredible! You did a great job!!

Date: 12/07/17 22:19
Author: railstiesballast

I got acquainted with them because I rode them as Division Engineer, here coming west at Surf on No. 13.

Date: 12/08/17 08:14
Author: march_hare

emd_mrs1 Wrote:
> I bought the Gem version. It is in the running
> for worst brass engine ever. I think I paid the
> astronomical sum of $99 for it - or my parents
> did.
>
> http://hotraincollector.com/gem-models-sdp40f-dies
> el/
>
> The driveline had large rubber "claws" that
> connected to each other instead of ball-and-socket
> joints. It worked okay going straight but would
> bind up in the slightest curve and stop.
>
> The shell had decent proportions overall but the
> curves for the roof and nose were way off. The
> fans were a circle of brass with a circular
> pattern stamped or etched into them.
>
> The athearn FP45 was light years ahead of the Gem
> model, even if it was a stand in. It would run.
>
> Thankfully we now have an outstanding one. Next,
> a quality P30CH I hope.
>
> Michael

Thanks for the explanation. I saw one at a swap meet many years ago, briefly considered buying it. The owner had painted it very well and weathered it nicely. It seemed like a step up from the Athearn stand-in But we put it on the track, applied power and it barely budged. Then a few seconds later, we got a noise that sounded a lot like a coffee grinder, probably those rubber claws coming loose and rubbing against each other.

Needless to say, my money went elsewhere.

Date: 12/08/17 08:55
Author: toledopatch

tmurray Wrote:
> This model, to me, is incredible. Added a decoder,
> speaker, Kadees, and some "dirt."
> It runs well, and looks incredible. I'm really
> happy with it, and hope it proves to all
> manufacturers that well done, accurate models
> nearly unique to Amtrak, can and do sell
> (hopefully the Walthers reps see that comment).

Nice work!

> EDIT: May Rapido have the phase II/III F40's in
> their not-too-distant production future.

Hear, hear from me on this. I grew up along the Shore Line, where SDP40Fs were rather rare, but have already bought two of Rapido's F40PHs and will readily buy a few more from the later production when they get to that.

Date: 12/08/17 11:14
Author: TCnR

What if Athearn had done a modular mid-section (40F/45F) 40 years ago? Or simply done it right the first time (SDP40F)?

They have made some classic models but need to advance the project 5 or 10, or 40 years. It's not like they are breaking into new rocket technology to build models.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/17 13:27 by TCnR.

Date: 12/08/17 13:52

Betsy Wrote:
> Seriously, they made
> accurate models of prototypes that didn't have
> icicle breakers - I'm not aware that any of the
> four numbers in the current release were ever
> equipped with icicle breakers - and you appear to
> be claiming that Athearn should have put them on
> just because of their price?

You misunderstand my assertion. I didn't say Athearn should simply putting on icicle breaks just because of the price (in a vacuum). Give me a little credit here - I'm dumb yes, but not that dumb. Ok sometimes I am, just ask my wife!

Yes, the numbers Athearn is offering on the first run are not SFZ versions so of course they should be offered configured correctly. I'm hoping that Athearn offers the SFZ version with appropriate numbers and icebreakers when they are finally offered. That's all.

As you noted, Keith has stated Athearn does plan to offer all version so I'm looking forward to those when they come around.

Cheers, Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/17 13:54 by SPDRGWfan.

Date: 12/08/17 14:26
Author: Betsy

Jim, I too am a fan of the SDP40Fs that ran on the SF Zephyr. I lived in Davis for a while when I eventually returned to school after graduating from Berkeley. But during the heyday of the SDPs, I was living in Lake Tahoe, so Donner Pass was in fact the closest railfanning available. And as much as I seem to remember the icicle breaker-equipped SDPs, memories can play tricks, and most photos I can find these days of that train show the SDP40Fs without icicle breakers. So arguably, the current release *is* appropriate, including the numbers. For me, as much as I like SDP40Fs (and lobbied for Athearn's model), I don't model passenger trains, so thus far have resisted assimilation as I I'm beginning to think I have more unfinished/unstarted projects than I will have time to ever get through!

Elizabeth

Date: 12/08/17 15:10
Author: RailThunder

I bought 9 of them to run on my Florida service trains on my SCL Tampa Division. So far only one has a decoder and that's changing soon!

Date: 12/08/17 19:03

Betsy Wrote:
> Jim, I too am a fan of the SDP40Fs that ran on the
> SF Zephyr. I lived in Davis for a while when I
> eventually returned to school after graduating
> from Berkeley. But during the heyday of the SDPs,
> I was living in Lake Tahoe, so Donner Pass was in
> fact the closest railfanning available. And as
> much as I seem to remember the icicle
> breaker-equipped SDPs, memories can play tricks,
> and most photos I can find these days of that
> train show the SDP40Fs without icicle breakers.
> So arguably, the current release *is* appropriate,
> including the numbers. For me, as much as I like
> SDP40Fs (and lobbied for Athearn's model), I don't
> model passenger trains, so thus far have resisted
> assimilation as I I'm beginning to think I have
> more unfinished/unstarted projects than I will
> have time to ever get through!
>
> Elizabeth

Betsy,

Small world. I remember as a kid watching the Viet Nam war protests at Bizerkly on the evening news. After my dad was stationed at Travis Air Force Base, we moved to Davis in 1971 and I lived there until graduating from Davis Sr. High in 1977 and moved over to Sacrademento to start college at CSUS. in 1976 my dad drove me to Sacramento to put me on the San Fancisco Zephyr. Was it that the SFZ didn't stop in Davis at the time? After I learned how to drive and got my first car, I made numerous trips up to Lake Tahoe and went on back packing trips into the Desolation Wilderness, visted Echo Lakes and skied Kirkwood Meadows, Sierra Ski Ranch, Sugar Bowl and Squaw Valley mainly. The Lake Tahoe area has always been my favorite place.

Anyway, I digress. I am mainly a freight train modeler but the Amtrak SFZ has always held a special place after riding it twice. After the first run of Athearn SDP40F's were announced, I searched for every photo of the SFZ I could find. I think I did find one photo were the number match one of the numbers run, but I could see the regulars were not there - I recorded all the road numbers I could find in photo's and wrote them down; they are on a sticky note I left on my desk at work. Right now my budget is committed to some Trainworx drop frames and a Walthers D&RGW SW1200 due in January but I do plan on adding a couple of Athearn SDP40F's to fulfill my desire to own a pair.

Cheers, Jim Fitch

Date: 12/08/17 20:30
Author: tmurray

These puppies are outside my era, and really my locale Sure they were in small numbers in Boston and New Haven, but it was dominated by E's, FL's and geep 9's. I've just wanted one for as many years as I can remember, and long ago got rid of my FP45 painted in the bloody nose. I made the exception and wanted to support the fact that Athearn made this, and did an incredible job (I just need to cut those trip pins off).

-Tom

Date: 12/10/17 15:43
Author: WAF

The SFZ in the beginning of SDPs had two series of numbers.. 580s and 620 series. Later strays of other numbers.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1003 seconds