Home Open Account Help 224 users online

Model Railroading > HO scale position lights

Date: 12/13/17 09:31
HO scale position lights
Author: RRBadTrack

I am looking for some options for HO scale position lights.

Although they are great products, I'm not going to fork out 40+ bucks per signal for the pre-built and wired varieties that are available.

What I am looking for is a good basis for the position signal head so I can build the mast and the rest of the signal around it.

I was operating a layout in Chicago that was based on coal operations with a position light signal system. The last time I was there was over a decade ago. While I was there, I saw plastic position light signal heads laying in a pile on the layout. Anyone know who makes them and if they are still available?

I will be installing B&O style color position lights on my layout and not the PRR style.

Thanks in advance for any and all information.

R.R. Conway

Date: 12/13/17 09:44
Re: HO scale position lights
Author: toledopatch

Integrated Signal Systems sells signals, masts, bridges, etc. in kit form as well as custom-assembled. I didn't study their site long enough to determine what the price differential is for kits.

Date: 12/13/17 10:10
Author: Bscale316

Try Oregon Rail Supply #106 B&O position light targets.
Don't know if available at the moment, but you could check.
Bill in Ft Worth

Date: 12/13/17 11:07
Author: Kemacprr

Years ago IHC made signal bridge kits that had a number of types of signal heads with them. One was PRR. There were also B&O and other heads included.I used the Integrated Signal Systems heads in my installation. Has worked well for a number of years. --- Ken

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/17 11:10 by Kemacprr.

Date: 12/13/17 16:07
Author: railwaybaron

The signal bridge kit also included UP & DRGW shaded heads.

Date: 12/15/17 05:21
Author: RRBadTrack

Thanks for the information. Much appreciated.

Date: 12/15/17 05:36
Author: RGDave

Another vote for Integrated Signal Systems. Quality construction and you can do a full kit up to full assembly.

~RGDave
http://onondagacutoff.blogspot.com/

Date: 12/15/17 10:34
Author: brfriedm

So I had a fully signaled layout with ISS B&O signals for a number of years. Fully operational and it worked great.

At one point, I needed to add some more B&O signals and at a train show, I saw Tomar's B&O signals. They were fully assembled and they looked great. But one thing that intrigued me was the B&O heads that Tomar has. They looked much more scale in size. I bought one and took it home and realized after comparison that the B&O ISS signals were very oversized. Another issue with ISS is they are very unreliable to work with. Poor to respond to communications and they took long to fill orders. Sometimes taking over a year to get orders and that was after a lot of threats.

Anyways, Tomar sold their signal line to P.F.& S.Railway Supply as far as it appears so do not know where this all stands.

https://tomarindustries.com/signals.htm

Bruce

A few pictures of my B&O signals from my layout. Long gone as they have been upgraded to modern signals as that is what CSX did due to PTC.

Date: 12/15/17 10:40
Author: brfriedm

Happy Holidays. Bruce

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0363 seconds