Home Open Account Help 270 users online

Model Railroading > Paint Removal Again

Date: 12/14/17 07:43
Paint Removal Again
Author: RichM

Sorry to dredge up a topic that seems to pop every few weeks.

I came upon a 20+ year old LifeLike Proto 2000 FA2 that’s what I was looking for. It runs well.

Other than expecting the handrails loosening, what are your experiences and suggestions on removing the existing paint? Alcohol alone, or is there anything unusual about the original coating?

Thanks in advance!

Rich

Date: 12/14/17 08:39
Re: Paint Removal Again
Author: rnb3

91% isopropyl alcohol is the answer for Proto2000 (P2K) shells. Fully submerge and let set overnight, scrub clean with a toothbrush. I follow that with a dish soap washing and rinse. FWIW, even the undecorated P2K shells are painted...grey! The biggest clean up will be where a detail part was glued on, as the glue "seals" the paint underneath. These may need some filing or chipping with an Xacto.

Rick Bacon
Windsor, CO

Date: 12/14/17 12:22
Author: RichM

Thank you, Rick!

Rich

Date: 12/14/17 13:32
Author: hartrick24

Hey Rick, I would like to add one thing. I bought a tupperware spaghetti holder. It's about the width if a hardball and about 13" to 15" tall perfect for one disassembled loco and other parts.
Just drop it in add the 91%, burp it and wait...

Steve H.

Date: 12/14/17 23:08
Author: TomG

I just stripped a older proto with 91% alcohol, didn't have to leave it over night. Put in container, poored in the the alcohol, ate a hamburger and went after it with a tooth brush and was done in a half hour.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0367 seconds