Home Open Account Help 346 users online

Model Railroading > Building the Shasta Division

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 01/18/18 07:56
Building the Shasta Division
Author: dmaffei

Work continues on Rick's layout based on the SP Shasta division. Both Cascade and Siskiyou staging yards are completed now and the steel angle iron shelving brackets are in for the Black Butte area above the Cascade staging yard. The interchange line is roughed in that ties the Siskiyou staging to Black Butte wye. True to the Shasta division, the siskiyou staging yard will be on a slight grade (As the prototype Dunsmuir yard is) More photos from old post here:
https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?3,4234991,4234991#msg-4234991
The layout plan by Byron Henderson was in the 2018 issue of Model Railroad Planning
http://mrr.trains.com/issues/2017/model-railroad-planning-2018
This is the most involved section of the layout and it's getting close to completion. Can't wait to get out of the yard onto the mainline!

Date: 01/18/18 08:10
Re: Building the Shasta Division
Author: SPDRGWfan

I have a 27.5 foot wall similar to the one shown (left side with breaker box) although it is framed in with studs so I am planning on sheet rocking it first.

I am planning on a staging yard and a yard above it and like the way you are doing your benchwork and support. Please continue to post updates on your progress.

Cheers, Jim Fitch

Date: 01/18/18 09:07
Author: TCnR

Thanks for the pictures Dave, do you have a Home Depot p/n for those shelf brackets?

Looks like a story by themselves.

Date: 01/18/18 10:31
Author: retcsxcfm

Excellent bench work! Makes for an excellent railroad.
Great job.

Uncle Joe
Seffner,Fl

Model railroading since 1950

Date: 01/18/18 12:00

Hi Neighbor,
The brackets were built buy a metal fab shop to Rick's specks. The idea was to keep the area in the staging yard free of obstructions from supports. After the brackets were completed, Rick discovered clearance issues with the Siskiyou staging line connection track (seen in the first photo). No problem, get your plasma cutter out and notch for Tunnel portal clearance. They are lag bolted and through bolted to the 1X1 risers bolted to the buildings mud sill above the block wall. fun stuff

TCnR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> p/n for those shelf brackets?
>
> Looks like a story by themselves.

Date: 01/18/18 12:13

Nice lookin room Jim!
Rick's room has 2X6 walls for better insulation and a temp. control system. A must to control rail expansion.
Keep us up to speed on your progress.
Best,
Dave

SPDRGWfan Wrote:
> I have a 27.5 foot wall similar to the one shown

Date: 01/18/18 13:24

> The brackets were built buy a metal fab shop to Rick's specs.

I noticed the notch in the top of the bracket near the wall which looks like it's there to clear trains. The only concern I would have about those brackets, especially with that notch, is will they remain rigid and support the bench-work all the way out to the ends. Of course that may not be much of an issue if the bench-work is lightweight foam. Otherwise engineering principles are that you need a triangular support to be very rigid like the supports below are.

dmaffei Wrote:
> Nice lookin room Jim!
> Rick's room has 2X6 walls for better insulation
> and a temp. control system. A must to control rail
> expansion.
> Keep us up to speed on your progress.
> Best,
> Dave

Thanks Dave. It's only 15' wide so if I leave an aisle along one side, and have the bench-work turn back twice for a longer run, the benchwork will have to be fairly narrow, but it's doable. I'm testing out some ideas in my head and on scratch paper with 24 inches along that left wall, but narrowing to 18 inches to provide ~66 inches for a turn-back lobe and try to maintain a 32-inch minimum mainline curve radius. Aisle pinch points in that scenario will be 24-inches over a short distance but widen to 30-inches in one aisle and in front of the main yard widen to about 3 feet. Not generous but don't plan to have many operators at this point. Plan to have a staging yard against the wall like in the original photo with a main yard (Grande Junction CO) above it.

There is a step over beyond the 27.5 foot long room where I could have a turn back loop or a helix and maintain 32 in radius I believe. The room at the far end is 12 x 12 and mine to extend the RR into, although my wife thinks it would be nice to put some chairs in there. I might split that room with her and run a branch line into there on one side of the room. There is another 16x16 foot room which is not framed in where the furnace and water heater is - right now that's my workshop and train storage room. But first I need wall outlets installed and then start the drywall this winter and spring.

Cheers, Jim

Date: 01/18/18 23:18
Author: RyanWilkerson

Thanks for the progress report Dave. Looks like a lot has happened since I first visited.

Ryan Wilkerson
Fair Oaks, CA

Date: 01/18/18 23:41
Author: railwaybaron

So where does the 1:87 Mt. Shasta go?

Date: 01/19/18 07:09

Photobob is in charge of the mountain backdrop behind Black Butte. He has a panoramic photo that he shot at Black Butte yard that includes Mt. Shasta and Black Butte that will be on the wall in my first photo.

railwaybaron Wrote:
> So where does the 1:87 Mt. Shasta go?

Date: 01/19/18 07:52

Looks like you have to pay to play to see the track plan in the link, other than a tiny gif.

What kind of track are you using in staging?

Date: 01/19/18 10:15

Jim
All staging trackage is Micro Engineering code 83 track and turnouts, Mainline will be hand-laid Central valley Tie strips And Fast Track turnouts code 83. The sidings will be code 70 rail.

SPDRGWfan Wrote:
> What kind of track are you using in staging?

Date: 01/19/18 10:22

Dave, thanks for the track info. I'm not ready for hand laying myself or fast tracks but am thinking about ME turnouts for my visible track.
I do look forward to following the progress of the Shasta Division since I am a big SP fan and that time period is pretty much dead nuts my favorite. While I am focusing on the D&RGW, I've built up a sizable fleet of SP tunnel motors and flairs and lumber freight cars.

Cheers, Jim

Date: 01/19/18 11:39

Checking out the photos, are Homosote sheets available in Redding? Or were they special order?

Had to haul mine up from the bay Area. I did find 3 inch wide strips in the concrete section at Home Depot. Works for the mainline but is pretty tedious in the yard.

Date: 01/19/18 12:32
Author: tracktime

Looks awesome Dave! I am watching with great interest!

Can you post a wider photo of the first photo that shows how the ladder terminates/originates? I'd like to get a better idea of the ladder design. Thanks!

Cheers,
Harry

Date: 01/19/18 13:19

Homasote is sold here at Home Depot (northern Virginia). I like the stuff personally for yards.

Cheers, Jim

Date: 01/19/18 13:46
Author: WarrenWeiss

Wow, I am so looking forward to seeing your progress with this layout. From your descriptions, it will be terrific.

Warren

Date: 01/19/18 14:18

It's a bit of a drive. Maybe Express Mail will help me out.

> Homasote is sold here at Home Depot (northern
> Virginia). I like the stuff personally for
> yards.
>
> Cheers, Jim

Or this: http://www.homasote.com/wheretobuy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/18 19:01 by TCnR.

Date: 01/20/18 11:24

Rick bought it before the guy in Redding went out of business. You can still get it from Cascade Rail supply in Washington state.
Cascaderailsupply.com
They produce the shapes and sizes for Model railroad use

TCnR Wrote:
> Checking out the photos, are Homosote sheets
> available in Redding? Or were they special order?
>
> Had to haul mine up from the bay Area. I did find
> 3 inch wide strips in the concrete section at Home
> Depot. Works for the mainline but is pretty
> tedious in the yard.

Date: 01/20/18 11:57

Good info. A lot of people like the shaped homasote.

dmaffei Wrote:
> Rick bought it before the guy in Redding went out
> of business. You can still get it from Cascade
> Rail supply in Washington state.
> Cascaderailsupply.com
> They produce the shapes and sizes for Model
> railroad use
>
> TCnR Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Checking out the photos, are Homosote sheets
> > available in Redding? Or were they special
> order?
> >
> > Had to haul mine up from the bay Area. I did
> find
> > 3 inch wide strips in the concrete section at
> Home
> > Depot. Works for the mainline but is pretty
> > tedious in the yard.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1234 seconds