Home Open Account Help 305 users online

Model Railroading > Explain DCC friendly turnouts vs. DC

Date: 02/14/18 23:54
Explain DCC friendly turnouts vs. DC
Author: UP951West

A friend is having issues with his Athearn Genesis MoP GP-38-2 factory DCC sound diesel stopping briefly and then starting back up and running at older turnouts. Another friend says DCC friendly turnouts are needed. What is the problem , as my upgraded DCC/ sound E-9 diesel (Proto 2000) runs better over the same problem turnouts ? Is there a way to fix up the existing turnouts w/o the expense and time to replace the older problem ones? BTW, I cleaned the wheels with electrical contact cleaner both on the wheel/rail surface and behind the wheel .Thanks in advance !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/18 03:23 by UP951West.

Date: 02/15/18 00:23
Re: Explain DCC friendly turnouts vs. DC
Author: ESPEE5318

Are the frogs powered?

Date: 02/15/18 03:24

ESPEE5318 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are the frogs powered?

I will look into this . THANKS !

Date: 02/15/18 05:00
Author: RGDave

I have found that certain locomotives with Tsunami sound tend to stall more than other sound equipped locomotives. I think the Tsunami is a power hog, and even the slightest break will cause a stall. My switches were old and I modified to be 'DCC friendly' ( http://onondagacutoff.blogspot.com/2010/11/modifying-switches-for-dcc.html ) and I kept my frogs isolated.

I would suggest installation of a keep-alive capacitor system designed to match the decoder (SoundTraxx makes a current-keeper add on). I have had good success with this in the locomotives that seem to trip more often.

Also check in the Athearn unit that both trucks are picking up power - I have had several instances where the stock Athearn wire connections with the plastic clip was loose or corroded, and only one truck was picking up power. If that is the case it will stall on every switch.

Good luck!
~RGDave
http://onondagacutoff.blogspot.com/

Date: 02/15/18 05:50
Author: MOAR-ISO

This is exactly correct. I've found that the Athearn GP trucks need better electrical pickup. So I fix that...and add a keep alive module and my problems have gone away.

RTR = Ready TO Repair

MOAR-ISO

RGDave Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have found that certain locomotives with Tsunami
> sound tend to stall more than other sound equipped
> locomotives. I think the Tsunami is a power hog,
> and even the slightest break will cause a stall.
> My switches were old and I modified to be 'DCC
> friendly' (
> http://onondagacutoff.blogspot.com/2010/11/modifyi
> ng-switches-for-dcc.html ) and I kept my frogs
> isolated.
>
> I would suggest installation of a keep-alive
> capacitor system designed to match the decoder
> (SoundTraxx makes a current-keeper add on). I
> have had good success with this in the locomotives
> that seem to trip more often.
>
> Also check in the Athearn unit that both trucks
> are picking up power - I have had several
> instances where the stock Athearn wire connections
> with the plastic clip was loose or corroded, and
> only one truck was picking up power. If that is
> the case it will stall on every switch.
>
> Good luck!
> ~RGDave
> http://onondagacutoff.blogspot.com/

Date: 02/15/18 07:38
Author: BAB

By the way they are not a power hog and I say that due to the fact I have Mountain Models ON30 engines, same as ON3 just different gauge. Each one weighs about twice what an HO engine weighs, they draw more current but I use the standard Soundtraxx units like are used in HO in them. I did start using the new ones on some as only bought three more since they came out. Think you have a problem with your engine not the decoder. As far as the DCC turnouts, I have standard DC guess one would call them turnouts not ON30 Micro Engineering one for hidden tracks due to cost. Some are old ones that have no insulation other than plastic ties. I cut gaps after the frog so the points control the frog. Another thing I have and think is less problematic is NCE, seems to be not prone to failure due to my mistakes, leaving the solder draped across the rails and shorting.

Fitting the new style capacitor in HO engines probably will not fit due to its size. One would have to use the old style I have also HO engines and had to do that.

Date: 02/15/18 10:20
Author: TCnR

There was a recent article by Tony Koester showing how to upgrade older turnouts. The idea was to saw the rail near the frog and install a bunch of wires to each segment of the switch. I'm finding that isolating the frog and removing any isolating rail joints makes the switch work just fine. Powering the frog should make things work better.

He also showed how to rework the points to prevent shorting. Interesting article.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/18 10:21 by TCnR.

Date: 02/15/18 15:37

Thanks to all of you with your advise on turnouts with DCC. !! --UP 951 West

Date: 02/16/18 07:34
Author: stevenlsilva

Check to see if you only have one truck pickup I have had many that had to be repaird

Date: 02/16/18 11:39
Author: funnelfan

The most common issue I've seen in using older turnouts is the rails come too close at the frog and the wheels on locomotive are just wide enough to make contact with the far rail and cause a momentary short that trips the DCC system. You can also have problems at the points if the point rail gets too close to the stock rail on the open side and the back of the wheel touches the open point rail.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 02/18/18 09:43
Author: Larry020

To get back to the question, in case anyone out in TV land wants to know is illustrated here https://tinyurl.com/ybpjaldk

⅂ɐɹɹʎ

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0463 seconds