Home Open Account Help 309 users online

Model Railroading > Sylvan - A Lot of Work

Date: 02/18/18 12:15
Sylvan - A Lot of Work
Author: icancmp193

Every now and then, I build a vehicle model for my own railroad. Such was the case with this Sylvan Scale Models 1958-62 GMC 860 Dump Truck. This series of GMC trucks is considered by some truck buffs to be among the ugliest trucks ever made, with the nose section of a GMC pick-up peeking out of the heavier-duty cab, hood and fenders. I have always thought they had a unique look and suitable for my late 60's - early 70's modeling timeframe.

This is a hollow resin kit and while the castings are pretty good, they need some clean-up work. Everything went together fairly well. There's plenty of painting to do: frame, wheels, cab, body and detail work such as chrome, marker lights, tail lights, etc. The yellow paint is actually Accu-Flex Wisconsin Central Cream, which was brushed. The bed is Rustoleum 2X Stone Gray spray. Sylvan provides etched stainless mirrors, wipers and turn signals. Paper "GMC" mud flaps can be obtained from the instruction sheet. Although glazing material is provided, I used Microscale Krystal-Kleer, and weathered with AIM powders.

I've built a Sylvan kit once before. More work than RTR! But, you end up with a unique prototype. I've got three more truck kits on hand and I see in their new releases there will be a 1956-72 International C-190 COE (tractor and grain truck versions) and also the similar Diamond T with a different grille, and several styles of the 1964 Plymouth Savoy Sedan, including police and taxi.

TJY

Date: 02/18/18 13:44
Re: Sylvan - A Lot of Work
Author: Jimmies

Real nice looking model you're got there. Glad you shared it on here.

Jim

Date: 02/19/18 10:14
Author: Matt_Gidley

Nice! If you're not already part of the 1/87 trucks facebook group, you should check it out; there's a build going on for Sylvan models.

Date: 02/25/18 10:18
Author: SP4360

Well the effort sure paid off. Great looking model.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0412 seconds