Home Open Account Help 248 users online

Model Railroading > Aged track

Date: 03/15/18 10:47
Aged track
Author: LarryDoyle

This track has been in service for about 15 years on my indoor layout, and each rail joint has acquired its own pile of accumulated grime from wheel batter.

1 3/4" gauge hand spiked .250" NS rail.

-John

Date: 03/15/18 11:20
Re: Aged track
Author: Fredo

Are you sure that it is not from an abrasive track cleaning block as it rubs over the slight high spot where the rails join together? Your rail looks very clean. You do a good job of keeping it nice and shinny.That little pile at each joint could be material shaved off of the track cleaning block as it hits the high spot.

Date: 03/15/18 12:08

Hmmmmm....

Could be.

-John

Date: 03/15/18 13:58
Author: ChrisCampi

Might be fun to paint a couple of those rail joiners a nice rusty color and add some bolt detail. Would look alot like an old wrap around style joint bar.

Chris

Date: 03/15/18 19:22
Author: Frisco1522

Great looking track. What do you run on that gauge?

Date: 03/16/18 08:33

Frisco1522 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great looking track. What do you run on that
> gauge?

Thanks.

Take a ride, via this video.

-John

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 03/16/18 09:26
Author: CPRR

John, Fn3 scale or Gauge 1?

Date: 03/16/18 10:27

G

Date: 03/16/18 13:24

Here's a sample of my equipment. Loco is LGB, as is the low side gon. The hoppers are Delton. So you can see I have both 1:24 and 1:22.5 running side by side. All rolling stock is commercial. Only scratchbuilding I've done in past 20 years is structures. I have replaced all wheels with semiscale steel wheels, which track real well and sound great!

This picture was taken during a work session today. Most hand tools and repair parts are shipped between the workbench and the worksite by rail, as seen here. The foreground turnout required adjustment of the handthrown switchstand and linkage, and adjustment of the undertable electrical contacts.

My car forwarding is a home brew database on my cell phone. Each car has 8 waybills, and when a car is delivered to its destination is advanced to the next consignee in sequence. When a car is needed for a special use, such as todays work train, I can quickly write a diversion for that cars special movement.

-John

Date: 03/16/18 13:32
Author: tq-07fan

The track looks good, quite realistic actually. I like that the signals on your layout video protect your swing bridge. Looks like a lot of action possible for an indoor G scale layout.

Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/18 13:34 by tq-07fan.

Date: 03/16/18 14:25
Author: Frisco1522

Clickety clack sounds nice. I like the "bulk" of the larger scales. If I would have had the room and money, I could have been an O scaler.

Date: 03/16/18 14:53

tq-07fan Wrote:
> The track looks good, quite realistic actually. I
> like that the signals on your layout video protect
> your swing bridge. Looks like a lot of action
> possible for an indoor G scale layout.
>
> Jim

Thank you very much. You might want to take a look at that pontoon swing bridge in this post:
https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?3,3599400,3599400#msg-3599400

Until someone proves me wrong, I'm claiming it's the worlds only model of a pontoon railroad bridge. ;-)

-John

Date: 03/16/18 15:01

Frisco1522 Wrote:
> Clickety clack sounds nice. I like the "bulk" of
> the larger scales. If I would have had the room
> and money, I could have been an O scaler.

LOL! Never been much for flea gauges, myself. Smallest scale models I've ever built is 0n3.*

-John

* Though I did design an HO streetcar for an importer.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.039 seconds