Home Open Account Help 220 users online

Model Railroading > BC Rock Light

Date: 03/16/18 02:06
BC Rock Light
Author: spandfecerwin

Hi All,

our Austrian Round Table in Salzburg is helpless because no idea what it:is - a BC Rock Light.

We know BC is British Columbia Railway, but a Rock Light?

Thanks in advance for help.

Erwin from Austria

Date: 03/16/18 03:10
Re: BC Rock Light
Author: kgmontreal

I'm not sure what you mean. But I can offer a suggestion. Pacific Great Eastern/British Columbia Railway/BC Rail travelled through some very unstable terrain. Their diesel locomotives had special criss-cross ditchlights on both the nose and pilots that illuminated the track ahead to look for rock slides. The idea was that the criss-cross lights could light around curves. These lights were a nuisance for railfan photographers because they frequently shone directly into camera lenses.

KG

Date: 03/16/18 04:27
Author: HB90MACH

If ditchlights werent hard enough

Date: 03/16/18 05:14
Author: hoggerdoug

BCOL 4643, headlights, ditch lights and corner lights. KG's explanation is bang on. Doug

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/18 05:15 by hoggerdoug.

Date: 03/16/18 05:23
Author: tunnelmotor

A friend of mine had the same question after opening his new Rapido C40-8CM in BC Rail - rock lights? What are they and where do they go? Check out photos of the prototypes. As the other response says - they are on the pilot slightly outboard of the ditch lights, over the cut lever, angled for beams to cross each other.

Date: 03/21/18 14:59
Author: spandfecerwin

Hi All,

thanks foe responses. KG´s may be the closest. This are additional parts in the box of Rapido C40-8CM in BC Rail.

Erwin from Austria

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0364 seconds