Home Open Account Help 219 users online

Model Railroading > Germany arrives in Cheyenne

Date: 03/17/18 18:45
Germany arrives in Cheyenne
Author: Bob3985

Today my favorite Model railroad dealer arrived at our Sherman Hill Layout in the mall bearing a locomotive I asked him to order.
Being of German heritage I saw this advertised and just knew I had to have one after oogling over Merklin locomotives for some time now. So today I received my BSB (Bavarian State Railroad) 4-6-2 Steam Locomotive. It was manufactured by MTH. After adjusting my learning curve from Broadway to MTH it actually was really nice. Now I have the replacement Kadee couplers for it ordered as well.
First is a side photo of the 4-6-2 sitting in our Union Avenue staging yard.

Second is a short video of it passing our servicing facility on the main line.

More will appear later as I start pulling trains with it.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 03/17/18 18:50
Re: Germany arrives in Cheyenne
Author: calsubd

Very Nice Indeed !

Ed Stewart
Jacksonville, FL

Date: 03/17/18 19:34
Author: DKay

Very nice model Bob.I like the big german tank locos also.I assume your beer wagon will be close to the head end.
Regards,DK.

Date: 03/17/18 20:24
Author: Panamerican99

I shot some video of the prototype loco at the Dresden Dampflokfest in '97 or '98 and caught it again crossing the Elbe River at the end of the fest.
Nice loco.

-JH

Date: 03/17/18 20:25

DKay Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Very nice model Bob.I like the big german tank
> locos also.I assume your beer wagon will be close
> to the head end.
> Regards,DK.

DK, yes my Warsteiner bier wagon was converted to US Kadee couplers so as soon as I get this loco converted the bier will supply the cab as the water supplies the boiler.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 03/17/18 20:50
Author: UP951West

Bob, that is a handsome locomotive ! Das ist sehr gute ! --Kelly

Date: 03/17/18 21:13
Brakes
Author: jbwest

How are you going to handle the vacuum brake compatibility issue. Couplers are easy, brakes more difficult.

JBWX

Date: 03/18/18 16:45
Re: Brakes
Author: gandydancer4

My second introduction to model trains was to Marklin trains. EVERY YEAR in Dayton, Ohio in the Rike's department store on the 6th or 7th floor at Christmas they had a HUGE Marklin setup that they sold every year. It cost about $1500 to $2000 in 1966 money. My mom would never have to watch me when she did her Christmas shopping. I was GLUED to that layout FOR HOURS. I think I wore a path around that layout looking at all the details.

Date: 03/19/18 06:49
Author: displacedneb

What size are the flanges on this new engine?

Date: 03/19/18 09:19
Author: superfleet

Bob, you have probably already found out that Kadee makes coupler conversions for the European NEM362 standard couple pockets so you can use your German rolling stock with American if you prefer. My wife's parents were both from Munich (her father was in the Luftwaffe/German Air Force in WW2) so they introduced me to the German prototypes many years ago. That stuff runs like Swiss watches!

Of course you know that "Krieg" translates to "war" in english, so your name is quite German!

Thanks for sharing all the stuff you share,

Dan in Wichita

Date: 03/19/18 17:11
Author: superchief73

That's a beauty

Javier Cervantes
Castle Rock , CO

Date: 03/19/18 18:07
Author: 1019X

Very nice looking locomotive. I notice that it appears the tender has trucks with different wheel bases.

Date: 03/20/18 08:02

displacedneb Wrote:
> What size are the flanges on this new engine?

The flanges fit perfectly in the NMRA guage. I have a few Fleischmann cars I bought that had much deeper flanges and don't seem to be Kadee wheel friendly. So work will be involved on them. Have to have my other bier cars.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/18 08:04 by Bob3985.

Date: 03/20/18 08:08

superfleet Wrote:
> Bob, you have probably already found out that
> Kadee makes coupler conversions for the European
> NEM362 standard couple pockets so you can use your
> German rolling stock with American if you prefer.
> My wife's parents were both from Munich (her
> father was in the Luftwaffe/German Air Force in
> WW2) so they introduced me to the German
> prototypes many years ago. That stuff runs like
> Swiss watches!
>
> Of course you know that "Krieg" translates to
> "war" in english, so your name is quite German!
>
> Thanks for sharing all the stuff you share,
>
> Dan in Wichita

Dan I have the Kadee conversion coupler setups ordered for the locomotive.
So you might see an hot reefer train being hauled at passenger speeds with my locomotive.
My Dad's side came from Marlow in Mecklenburg(name was Krüger until Ellis Island). Mom's side was from Zwickau/ Marienthal in Sachsen.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 03/20/18 11:07
Author: grahamline

If you can track them down Reboxx has replacement wheelsets that fit Marklin cars; if Fleischmann use pointed axles, you can probably find something in the right length. I don't see them in the current 33" or 36" applications lists at http://www.reboxx.com/wheelsets.htm.

'50s Fleischmann my uncle brought back from German had the massive flanges but that hasn't been the case in recent years. Still have the nice-looking (non-running) 4-6-2 plus a gepackwagen, speisewagen and first- and second-class coaches.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.068 seconds