Home Open Account Help 351 users online

Model Railroading > Intermountain Illinois Central GP10

Date: 04/14/18 09:49
Intermountain Illinois Central GP10
Author: mamfahr

Hello all,

I just purchased several IC GP10s and would like to fix the headlights so they function realistically. I haven't had a chance to remove the shells and get a look inside yet, I only noticed the Gyralights aren't set up properly out of the box. IC's GP10 Gyralights had a red light on top (normally off) and a rotating white light on the bottom. IM's models have white lights top and bottom that both light up.

It may be as simple as just painting over the top light (semi-transparent red) and disconnecting the wire leading to the top light so it doesn't function. Has anyone done this yet to offer comments?

Thanks,

Mark

Date: 04/14/18 19:19
Re: Intermountain Illinois Central GP10
Author: RioGrandeFan

Making the top light red would be somewhat of a job. While there are two separate white LEDs on the circuit board for each light, both of them shine into a single light pipe for both the upper and lower lights. You'd have to remove this light pipe and run your own separate white and red LED into a fiber optic so that red doesn't shine into the white light and white doesn't shine into the red light.

Then you'd have to cut the wires to the factory LEDs for the gyralight and run your own newly installed LEDs to two separate outputs. There should be an open function on the board as these units have an 8-function motherboard. Then of course programming the output to its own function key.

Lee Ryan - Rio Grande Fan
Denver, CO

Date: 04/15/18 17:42
Author: tomstp

Why not get a MV Lens red the size of the hole and glue it in since it is not to light ?

Date: 04/17/18 09:07
Author: mamfahr

Thanks for the ideas. I'll work on this an make the necessary changes to correct the problem.

Take care,

Mark

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0314 seconds