Home Open Account Help 331 users online

Model Railroading > Just announced Walthers newest Name Train. 1960's UP City of LA

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 04/17/18 12:45
Just announced Walthers newest Name Train. 1960's UP City of LA
Author: UPJeff

Not sure why Walthers choose the 1960's Union Pacific City of Los Angeles. I do not believe that any of the cars are new. the only difference that I see is the modernized E units with grabs up the nose. I was hoping that they would do the SP Sunset, I do not need one since I model the Santa Fe, but I see the Sunset as a much needed train.

Jeff Smith
Lakewood, CA
RailMaster Hobbies

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/18 12:45 by UPJeff.

Date: 04/17/18 13:22
Re: Just announced Walthers newest Name Train. 1960's UP City of
Author: Lark

Cash?

Date: 04/17/18 13:25
Author: emd_mrs1

and the "Preamble Express" E unit is on the list...

all with Lok Sound.

Michael

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/18 13:26 by emd_mrs1.

Date: 04/17/18 14:46
Author: 41

WOW. For those prices, they could have done the <insert your wish train> .

Date: 04/17/18 16:24
Author: RailThunder

I'd love to see another manufacturer step up to the plate with the remaining long distance trains. I think it's needed for the sake of competition. If Athearn tackled doing a Sunset Limited or San Joaquin Daylight that could be the cat's meow. I love the lone Coach they did in the fantastic engineering design. I'd like to see Rapido take a run at doing a North Coast Limited, Panama Limited, or Silver Meteor etc. I'm confident we'll see something totally new in the US market within a couple years. One positive thing with the Walther's announcement is it's a 60s version, so I'm glad a name train made a 60s variation. Hopefully the low investment capital with already made cars will spur on a new project. On a different front Walthers really needs to step up their game with later paint schemes on already produced cars such as Amtrak Phase I and the original Auto Train.

Date: 04/17/18 16:28
Author: dgraves

Yawn.

Date: 04/17/18 19:04
Author: wabash2800

I'd think it'll just be Santa Fe, Pennsy, NYC, and UP and maybe SP...

The other roads just aren't modeled that much.

Another never would be a Wabash Cannon Ball from the 1950s that could be cobbled together with all heavyweight cars and an E8, but I can do that myself a lot cheaper than Walthers would want for it. It's on my list.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Date: 04/17/18 20:44
Author: MojaveBill

All you would need for the SJ Daylight would be a Harriman Baggage-RPO and baggage, Harriman diner and Coffee shop, triple-units, and SP dome depending on era. The consist was very flexible with lots of hand-me-downs from the coast, Overland Route, etc - in other words a fun train to model as I have been doing for decades.
Power would be 2 GS-4s or two Daylight-painted MTs between LA and Bakersfield. and just about any diesels excepts for Es.
in other words, mix and match!

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 04/18/18 05:31
Author: SPDRGWfan

I'm glad I don't need any more passenger trains because I simply can't afford to buy a train like the one Walthers just announced. It appears to put together the full train would be on the order of 2 grand. I'm doing better budget was than in the past but not that good.

Cheers, Jim Fitch

Date: 04/18/18 06:24
Author: binder001

As a UP fan I will be looking at picking up a few more cars. But I am less than excited that there are no new cars! The modular construction used by Walthers' passenger cars in the last few years should have allowed for some new additions to the fleet; the "Western" series 12-4 sleepers, or 6200-series lounge cars for instance. It will be interesting to see if Walthers addresses the fuel tank skirt problem from the earlier run. I'm also curious to see if they have that darned Mars light blinking during routine operation. The UP only used it as a signal light for stops on the mainline - they did NOT routinely run down the road with the signal light blinking.

Gary B.
Waverly, NE

Date: 04/18/18 15:25
Author: wnehoc

Still no club lounge (6200 series) or RPO. Disappointing.

Wayne Cohen

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/18/18 15:29
Author: CSX602

I don't care what the new Walthers name train is... I'm not going to buy anything else from Walthers until they go back to producing their items - including Cornerstone items - in the colors they show on their web site (and accurately describing the colors those items are done in). I have grown tired of their misrepresentation of products.

One of the latest examples is the 933-4075 Modern Electrical Gear. Walthers announcement photos (and current photos) shows parts in a pleasant light gray color which would be close to the color of most of the prototype electric boxes and gas lines. Walthers actually did the parts (all that's in the packages) molded in olive green plastic instead of gray. Yes, those parts could be painted gray but that would cover some of what little detail they did. There is nothing in their online item description to say the item is actually molded in green (I guess they know that honesty might reduce sales) and no photos of what a buyer actually gets. I mail ordered a few sets from MBK and upon calling them back their customer service rep was shocked that Walthers had actually done them in green when all the photos (and the prototypes) are gray. I also called Walthers and their customer service person showed no concern over an item not actually being like their photo of it.

By the way, my guess would be that the City of LA was probably selected to minimize the work they would need to do (thus no new cars) while doing a new series they could charge premium/outrageous prices for.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/18 16:07 by CSX602.

Date: 04/18/18 19:54
Author: RuleG

I agree with others' disappointment over Walthers' selection. I believe that other railroads such as the Rio Grande, Northwestern and Nickel Plate are sufficiently popular with modelers, that the Prospector, Royal Gorge, 400 or Nickel Plate Limited would have sold well.

If Walthers has to produce another Union Pacific train, why not the Butte Special which would not overwhelm small layouts or modelers' budgets?

Date: 04/19/18 07:07
Author: aehouse

I (and I suspect many others) have been waiiting for 50 years for someone to produce the DL&W/EL Phoebe Snow equipment, a very popular name train among baby boomers living in the east. Guess I'll have to wait another 50.

And speaking of Wathers, my LHS yesterday informed me that a car I ordered from the Walther's C&O George Washington train some two years ago had finally arrived. Ridiculous.

Art House

Date: 04/19/18 08:12
Author: wag216

Bet you that Uncle Bill is not happy as the grandkids try to get their act together! wag216 (started with Uncle Bill in 1949)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/18 10:29 by wag216.

Date: 04/19/18 09:52
Author: SPDRGWfan

RuleG Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I agree with others' disappointment over Walthers'
> selection. I believe that other railroads such as
> the Rio Grande, Northwestern and Nickel Plate are
> sufficiently popular with modelers, that the
> Prospector, Royal Gorge, 400 or Nickel Plate
> Limited would have sold well.

Yes, a D&RGW Prospector would be awfully nice.

Unfortunately we get what we are given.

Cheers, Jim Fitch

Date: 04/19/18 11:55
Author: wictl

Really? Kind of hard to be two years as the C&O George Washington was announced about this time last year. It was the 2017 train. While it may have taken some time, the cars are starting to deliver. I received noticed that my order for the firsf two cars are in.

Darin Umlauft
A WC, SOO and GBW fan in Slinger, WI

aehouse Wrote:
> I (and I suspect many others) have been waiiting
> for 50 years for someone to produce the DL&W/EL
> Phoebe Snow equipment, a very popular name train
> among baby boomers living in the east. Guess I'll
> have to wait another 50.
>
>
> And speaking of Wathers, my LHS yesterday informed
> me that a car I ordered from the Walther's C&O
> George Washington train some two years ago had
> finally arrived. Ridiculous.
>
> Art House

Posted from Android

Date: 04/19/18 18:53
Author: randyr

What is the over/under this train gets cancelled? Like their last Santa Fe train.

Randy in PHX, and yes, still hoping for a D&RGW Prospector/Royal Gorge.

Date: 04/20/18 06:45
Author: aehouse

wictl Wrote:
> Really? Kind of hard to be two years as the C&O
> George Washington was announced about this time
> last year. It was the 2017 train. While it may
> have taken some time, the cars are starting to
> deliver. I received noticed that my order for the
> firsf two cars are in.
>
> Darin Umlauft
> A WC, SOO and GBW fan in Slinger, WI
>
>

The George Washington train, albeit the 2017 train, was previewed and offered for reservation in 2016. That would be two years ago according to my calendar.

Art House

Date: 04/20/18 08:09
Author: wictl

I would recheck that. The announcement of the Goerge was in the Spring of 2017.

Here is the press release from Model Railroaders web page.

http://mrr.trains.com/news-reviews/new-products/2017/05/walthers-new-model-railroad-name-train-is-the-chesapeake-ohio-george-washington

The single level 1954 El Capitan announced in late spring 2016.

Darin

aehouse Wrote:
> wictl Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Really? Kind of hard to be two years as the
> C&O
> > George Washington was announced about this time
> > last year. It was the 2017 train. While it
> may
> > have taken some time, the cars are starting to
> > deliver. I received noticed that my order for
> the
> > firsf two cars are in.
> >
> > Darin Umlauft
> > A WC, SOO and GBW fan in Slinger, WI
> >
> >
>
> The George Washington train, albeit the 2017
> train, was previewed and offered for reservation
> in 2016. That would be two years ago according to
> my calendar.
>
> Art House

Posted from Android

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/18 08:25 by wictl.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0827 seconds