Home Open Account Help 347 users online

Model Railroading > Sound decoder operation

Date: 05/14/18 21:49
Sound decoder operation
Author: pmack

I have a 4ish year old Genesis SD60M with Tsunami sound. As soon as I go above speed step 0 it notches up. When I watch the trains across the street from my house they will be sitting idling and then start rolling and then after some distance the prime mover notches up. Is there a way to make the Tsunami act like the real trains and if not what decoders will allow that? So far my work around has been to turn the dynamics sound all the way down and use F4/dynamics to keep the engine at idle when leaving and drop the engine to idle when braking.

I would also like to put sound into an SD9 so I would like 567 recommendations that would let it start moving at idle/run 1 instead of immediately going to run 2. And sound good too. I realize this is a Coke/Ford whatever question but I'm not sure which decoders work (sort of) like a real locomotive.

Date: 05/15/18 03:43
Re: Sound decoder operation
Author: Setandcentered

It's been a while since I programmed a Tsunami decoder (I went ESU), but there is a CV that controls how many speed steps it takes to "notch up". Check out their manuals, and search for 'automatic notching' settings or something similar...CV 116 if I remember correctly.

Dave

Posted from Android

Date: 05/15/18 04:16
Author: brfriedm

In the Soundtraxx world, it is called Dynamic Digital Exhaust (DDE) and you need a Tsunami 2 to get that to work correctly.

In the Loksound world, it is called Full Throttle. I highly recommend Loksound as they are sound upgradeable and have onboard LED support. Soundtraxx is a dead end product now.

http://www.esu.eu/en/products/loksound/loksound-full-throttle-diesel-features/

Bruce

pmack Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have a 4ish year old Genesis SD60M with Tsunami
> sound. As soon as I go above speed step 0 it
> notches up. When I watch the trains across the
> street from my house they will be sitting idling
> and then start rolling and then after some
> distance the prime mover notches up. Is there a
> way to make the Tsunami act like the real trains
> and if not what decoders will allow that? So far
> my work around has been to turn the dynamics sound
> all the way down and use F4/dynamics to keep the
> engine at idle when leaving and drop the engine to
> idle when braking.
>
> I would also like to put sound into an SD9 so I
> would like 567 recommendations that would let it
> start moving at idle/run 1 instead of immediately
> going to run 2. And sound good too. I realize
> this is a Coke/Ford whatever question but I'm not
> sure which decoders work (sort of) like a real
> locomotive.

Date: 05/15/18 04:40
Author: dh1205

A lot of newer LokSound files do not immediately go to notch 2 when you start out.

Date: 05/15/18 09:03
Author: pmack

Thanks for the suggestions. Does anyone have experience with TSC sound decoders? It's nice they bundle it all together, decoder, Keep Alive, speaker.

Date: 05/15/18 12:08
Author: dmaffei

I have to admit, since I saw the potential for what Loksound full throttle does, I was sold. Working on this Athearn T2 with a 73700 board and Railmaster speaker. I was demonstrated its capabilities last weekend at the East bay club while programming this chassis with the Loksound programmer. This technology is the ticket for sound operations.

Date: 05/15/18 14:23
Author: ATSFSuperChief

Soundtraxx has excellent tech support and documents on website and is certainly not a "dead" product.

SuperChiefDon

Date: 05/15/18 20:30
Author: sphauler

I believe what your looking for is the CV that controls the "dead band". I think it's only in the Tsunami 2 decoders. Contact George at Soundtraxx.

sphauler

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.066 seconds